Tummy Tuck Surgery can help remove loose skin after weight loss and repair tummy muscles after pregnancy. Here are the most common Questions Dr Carmen gets asked about Tummy Tuck Surgery. the Tummy Tuck FAQs.
Download Dr Carmen’s Guide to Tummy Tuck Surgery – Abdominoplasty
Qualifying for Tummy Tuck FAQs
Do I have enough skin for a tummy tuck?
- Most people assume that if you have excess skin on your abdomen, you can qualify for a tummy tuck. However, this is not the case. Ideally, there needs to be enough skin that can stretch from the belly button to the pubic hairline. Booking a consultation is the only sure-shot way to determine that whether you are the right candidate for the surgery or not.
Do I need to lose weight before a tummy tuck?
- Yes, if you are too overweight, your surgeon will advise you to be in your ideal weight range and maintain that stable weight for a period to qualify for a tummy tuck.
How close do I need to be to my goal weight for a tummy tuck?
- Well, ideally you would have tummy tuck if you are < 10kg above your recommended weight. Ask your surgeon.
How soon after pregnancy can you get a tummy tuck?
- Generally, surgeons recommend waiting for anywhere between six months to a year after pregnancy before getting a tummy tuck. This time frame allows your body to heal completely and allows you to return to your normal weight.
Are tummy tucks covered by Medicare?
- Medicare will not pay for your plastic surgery unless it is a result of massive weight loss and you meet the strict criteria – it is causing infections, skin rashes, and leading to other medical conditions and is deemed necessary by your doctor or surgeon.
Will I need a tummy tuck after weight loss?
- It varies from person to person. Not all people are left with loose skin after weight loss. If you are one of those who are left with unsightly hanging skin in your tummy area, you can opt for a tummy tuck.
Preparing for Tummy Tuck FAQs
What do I do before tummy tuck surgery?
- Here are some tips to follow prior to the tummy tuck surgery:
- Quit smoking and drinking two weeks prior to the surgery.
- Do not take aspirin or any other blood-thinning medications.
- Eat healthily and drink loads of water.
- Take a few weeks off from work in advance.
- Get all the lab tests done your surgeon has asked you to take.
What to pack for tummy tuck surgery?
- Here are few things to pack for tummy tuck surgery:
- A support cane or stick to help you move more comfortably
- A water bottle
- Healthy snacks
- Ice packs
- Traction socks
- Loose and comfy clothing
- Ice packs
- Cleansing wipes
- Read our blog article on packing for hospital
How to prepare for a Tummy Tuck?
- Well, for starters, get all the tests done which are required by your plastic surgeon. Apply for leave from work, pack your hospital bag, quit smoking, and drinking for two weeks before the surgery.
What is the maximum weight for a tummy tuck?
- At maximum, you should be 10kg heavier than your goal weight.
Tummy Tuck Surgery FAQs
Is a tummy tuck major surgery?
- Yes, it is a major surgical procedure that will require many weeks to heal. Hence, be prepared for at least a few weeks off from work and lots of rest after that.
Is getting a tummy tuck worth it?
- If the excess loose skin is affecting your confidence and causing problems like skin rashes and infections, having a tummy tuck is a great way to improve your body contour and life. Realself patient surveys suggest It is definitely worth it.
What are dog ears on a tummy tuck?
- Dog Ears are the triangular-shaped excess pucker skin at the end of the tummy tuck incision line, which resembles dog years. In some patients, it can occur on one side or both sides. Big Dog ears are a sign of cheap surgery or that the incision was possibly too small. See your surgeon about a scar revision.
What are the different types of tummy tucks?
- The most common types of tummy tucks are:
- Standard abdominoplasty
- Mini Abdominoplasty
- Fleur de Lys Abdominoplasty
- Extended Abdominoplasty
- Full Body Lift or Circumferential Abdominoplasty
What is a full tummy tuck?
- A full tummy tuck tightens the tummy muscles in the abdominal area. A mini Tummy tuck is generally skin only.
What is an extended tummy tuck?
- An extended tummy tuck is ideal for those people who have lost a lot of weight. It removes excess skin from the abdomen, hips, back, and thighs to give you a sculpted look.
What is an FDL tummy tuck?
- FDL refers to the traditional tummy tuck in which excess skin is removed and tucked vertically across the lower abdominal area.
What is a tummy tuck revision surgery?
- A tummy tuck revision simply refers to secondary abdominoplasty surgery. It can take many forms, from minor trimming to complete tummy tuck.
Does a tummy tuck get rid of stretch marks?
- A tummy tuck can potentially hide and reduce stretch marks on the belly by removing the skin with stretch marks, but it is not regarded as a stretch mark removal treatment.
Does a tummy tuck lift your pubic area?
- The basis of tummy tuck is skin tightening which can have a positive impact on your pubic area or mons. However, if it is extremely saggy, a tummy tuck will be of less help. You can also have liposuction in the mons area for a better result.
Can a tummy tuck fix diastasis recti – split tummy muscles?
- Yes, a full tummy tuck is the most comprehensive treatment and recommended for diastasis recti – muscle repair
Can a tummy tuck reverse diabetes?
- No, a tummy tuck is a purely cosmetic procedure and has no impact on diabetes.
Can I have a tummy tuck after c section?
- Yes, you can get a tummy tuck after a c section. It is advised to wait for six months to a year to ensure your body is properly healed. Do not choose a cheap “wedge lipectomy surgery” offered by some general surgeons immediately following your C Section – it results in a very poor aesthetic outcome compared with a tummy tuck.
Does a tummy tuck help the pelvic floor?
- Yes, a tummy tuck has been shown to actually help tighten the pelvic floor muscles and reduce incontinence.
How long is a tummy tuck surgery?
- The surgery can take anywhere between 1 to 3 hours, depending on the technique used.
How many hours does a tummy tuck take?
- A tummy tuck can take around 2 to 3 hours. More for a bigger tummy.
How many sizes do you lose with a tummy tuck?
- You can expect to lose between 2 to 3 pant sizes after a tummy tuck.
How much skin can be removed in a tummy tuck?
- The amount of skin removed can vary from person to person. It can be anywhere from 10lbs to 70lbs.
How much weight do you lose with a tummy tuck?
- You will not lose much weight after the surgery. Instead, you will lose a few pant sizes. The only weight you will lose will be the weight of the excess skin.
What kind of tummy tuck do I need?
- The kind of tummy tuck you need can only be determined once you come in for a consultation. Each patient is different and requires a different kind of technique.
What’s a reverse tummy tuck?
- It is a cosmetic surgical procedure that removes excess skin from the upper abdomen by pulling the skin upward under the bra line. Very few surgeons offer this surgery as results are usually not as good as a the traditional method..
Will a tummy tuck help with prolapse?
- Yes, a tummy tuck can help with prolapse.
What hurts worse, c section or tummy tuck?
- Well, both will not hurt during the process as the surgery is done under general anesthesia. After both surgeries, you will be given painkillers to counter the pain. So, they both are pretty similar.
Recovery After Tummy Tuck FAQs
How bad is the pain after a tummy tuck?
- Your surgeon will give you painkillers after the surgery, which will help you counter the pain after the surgery.
Can you sleep on your side after a tummy tuck?
- You should sleep on your back for the first 10 to 12 days. After that, you can sleep on your side.
How to get out of bed after a tummy tuck?
- Move-in a pendulum format to get up and down to bed. Avoid any sudden movements.
How long after a tummy tuck can you stand up straight?
- Typically, it will take you 3 to 4 days to stand up straight after a tummy tuck.
How long after tummy tuck do you wear a compression garment?
- It is advised to wear a compression garment for six to eight weeks.
How long do tummy tuck scars take to fade?
- It can take anywhere from six months to a year for the scars to fade completely. Some patients also need to opt for scar removal treatments.
How long do I wear a bandage after a tummy tuck?
- You need to wear bandages for two weeks and a compression garment for six to eight weeks after the surgery.
How long do you wear a compression garment after a tummy tuck?
- It is advised to wear a compression garment for six to eight weeks after the treatment.
How long does a tummy tuck take to heal?
- It can take anywhere between two to three months to heal completely after a tummy tuck.
How long does numbness last after a tummy tuck?
- It can take anywhere between six months to one year for the numbness to completely go away after the tummy tuck.
How long for the tummy tuck incision to heal?
- It will take six weeks or more for the incision to heal completely.
How long off work for a tummy tuck?
- It is advised to take 3 to 4 weeks or more off from work after the tummy tuck surgery to heal completely. Depends on your occupation.
How long it will take to recover from a mini tummy tuck?
- It will take three to four weeks for you to recover from a mini tummy tuck or skin only removal surgery.
How tight should the binder be after a tummy tuck?
- Binder needs to be snug but not too tight to the point that it causes discomfort.
When can I stop wearing a compression garment after a tummy tuck?
- It is advised to wear a compression garment for a minimum of six weeks.
How to drain a seroma after a tummy tuck?
- Avoid draining seroma yourself and leave this job to your doctor.
How to prevent seroma after a tummy tuck?
- Your surgeon will use drainage tubes. It is done to prevent seroma. This prevents any fluid build-up, which leads to a seroma.
How to reduce scar tissue after a tummy tuck?
- Follow all the post-care instructions religiously.
- Do not skip on topical treatments recommended by your surgeon.
- Keep your skin moisturized at all times.
- Wear sunscreen and prevent direct sun exposure.
- Avoid using any products or clothing that can lead to irritation.
How to reduce swelling after a tummy tuck?
- Wear compression garments at all times, use icepacks, drink plenty of fluids, and you will be good to go.
When can I return to work after a tummy tuck?
- You can return to work three weeks after the treatment.
How long after a tummy tuck can I do sit-ups?
- It is advised to wait for 8 to 10 weeks before resuming exercise.
When can you have sex after a tummy tuck?
- Most patients have to wait for two weeks after the surgery prior to having sex.
When do you start driving after a tummy tuck?
- Wait for two weeks before you start driving after a tummy tuck.
When does tummy tuck pain go away?
- It will go away completely two weeks after the surgery.
How long is the recovery time after a tummy tuck?
- You will recover in about six to eight weeks after the tummy tuck. See Recovery after Tummy Tuck – Tips & Timeline Healing after Abdominoplasty.
How painful is a tummy tuck recovery?
- It is very bearable. Your surgeon will give you a handful of medications to counter the pain so the entire process will go smoothly.
How to sleep after a tummy tuck?
- Sleep on your back for 10 to 12 weeks after the surgery.
How to stand up straight after a tummy tuck?
- Do not push it. You will be able to stand up straight with the help of your surgeon within a week after the surgery.
What is the best scar treatment after a tummy tuck?
- Your surgeon will give you a handful of topical ointments which you need to apply daily. Your scars will take about a year to fade away. If not, you can discuss various options with your surgeon, from laser to microdermabrasion and more.
What is the recovery time after a tummy tuck?
- Generally, patients recover six to eight weeks after the surgery.
Tummy Tuck Risks and Longer Term FAQs
Is tummy tuck safe?
- Yes, it is a completely safe procedure, given that you choose the right surgeon.
Do dog ears go away after a tummy tuck?
- Yes, they generally subside within three to six months of the surgery. A scar revision may be necessary for big dog ears.
What causes necrosis after a tummy tuck?
- Tissue Necrosis (or tissue death) is caused due to flap ischemia. Blood flow has been restricted to the area and some tissue has died. Typically caused by smoking and nicotine inhalation. Tissue loss can be treated with debridement and use of Vac Pack dressings but they are very expensive, need constant monitoring and not easy to wear. Please don’t smoke before or after surgery. Follow your surgeons instructions.
Can you have two tummy tucks?
- Yes, it is entirely possible. Some people opt for a second tummy tuck years down the line if they become pregnant to have significant changes in their weight.
Can you get a tummy tuck twice?
- Yes, you can get a tummy tuck twice. It typically happens when a patient decides to become pregnant or undergoes a weight gain/weight loss journey.
Can you have a tummy tuck before getting pregnant?
- It is generally not recommended, but you absolutely can get it done.
Does the fat come back after a tummy tuck?
- A tummy tuck is a procedure to remove excess hanging skin, not fat. Hence, fat can come back if you gain weight.
What happens if you gain weight after a tummy tuck?
- Well, if you gain access weight and decide to lose it again, you might be left with excess skin.
Tummy Tuck and Pregnancy
Can you get pregnant after a tummy tuck?
- Yes, you can get pregnant after a tummy tuck.
Can I have a baby after a tummy tuck?
- Yes, you can. A tummy tuck is a cosmetic procedure that has no impact on pregnancy.
Can you still have a baby after a tummy tuck?
- Yes, you can.
Can a tummy tuck affect pregnancy?
- A tummy tuck is purely a cosmetic procedure, so it probably won’t have much impact on a woman’s ability to become pregnant. However, if you are planning to become pregnant, it is advised to get a tummy tuck after your pregnancy.
Tummy Tuck Celebrity FAQs
What celebrities have had a Tummy Tuck?
- Angelina Jolie, Kate Gosselin, Courtney Love, Tara Reid, Nadya Suleman, Star Jones, Donatella Versace, and Britney Spears, along with many others, have undergone tummy tuck surgery.
Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen Munteanu MD. FRACS (Plas) is a very skilled and compassionate Specialist Plastic Surgeon based in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
She is one of Melbourne’s most experienced and sought-after female Plastic Surgeons specialising in aesthetic breast surgery and body contouring. That includes Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Breast Implant Surgery and Body Surgery.
With over 25 years of surgical experience in Plastic Surgery, Dr Carmen firmly believes that a good surgeon is first a good doctor. She will always take into consideration all the health aspects and personal circumstances of each patient.
A dedicated Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr Carmen is renowned for providing exceptional care, support and helping achieve realistic goals for her patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Carmen
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu by paying the $275 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Email us for more information: email@example.com