Liposuction & Liposculpture – Body Contouring by Dr Carmen
Liposuction or Liposculpture can help remove stubborn fat for a better body contour. Dr Carmen Munteanu MD FRACS (Plast) is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon who performs liposuction in Melbourne, Australia. She is dedicated to providing excellent care to her patients and helping them achieve realistic goals in body contouring and bodysculpting.
Download Dr Carmen’s Guide to Liposuction
What Is Liposuction?
Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery procedure that aims to permanently remove stubborn fat deposits that diet & exercise have been unable to shift. Liposuction removes fat using suction through an instrument called a cannula which is inserted under the skin near the excess fat deposits. It yields satisfying results for most patients and is considered to be less invasive than full surgery like a tummy tuck.
Liposuction does not remove all the fat cells, some will remain. Fat cells do not multiply, rather they expand and contract in relation to dietary intake and lifestyle. Therefore, it is vital that you maintain a healthy activity level and dietary balance, this will enhance and extend the liposculptured shape Dr Carmen has created.
There are four basic types of liposuction:
- Tumescent liposuction – This procedure consists of injecting a fluid into the fatty tissues. The fluid is left in the fat tissue for several minutes and then sucked out through a cannula which is repeatedly pulled back and forth.
- Super-wet liposuction – Super-wet liposuction is a modification of tumescent liposuction, where the fluid injected into the fatty tissues in smaller volume, but it also contains nerve numbing agents and blood vessel contractor. This surgical technique has proven to be faster and more comfortable during and after liposuction.
- Laser-assisted liposuction – Laser-assisted liposuction uses a laser, commonly found at the tip of the cannula to liquefy the fatty tissues. This helps with the easier movement of the cannula and faster fatty tissue sucking, which reduced the time you spend in the surgical theatre and reduces pain post-op. There may be some skin rejuvenation & tightening effects as well.
- Vaser Lipo or Ultrasound-assisted liposuction – Ultrasound-assisted liposuction or VASER liposuction utilises ultrasound to soften and melt the fatty deposits. This speeds up the procedure time so that you can spend less time under the anaesthetic. There may be some skin rejuvenation and tightening effects too.
What Are The Benefits Of Liposuction ?
Liposuction offers patients many benefits:
- targeted fat removal from difficult to trim down areas
- improved body shape and contouring
- reduced chafing in patients who opted for thigh liposuction
- improved mental and physical health from removing stubborn fat
- improved looks, mood and self-esteem
- improved social and intimate life
If you feel that your extra fat impacts your life or if you would simply like a more athletic look, you can contact Dr Carmen Munteanu and schedule an appointment.
About Liposuction Surgery
Dr Carmen has an excellent surgical team that will take care of you and your anaesthetic will be administered by a consultant anaesthetist. The surgery will be performed under general anaesthesia in an accredited hospital. After the liposuction procedure has been finished, you will spend some time in the hospital.
You will leave the hospital once cleared with the surgeon’s personal contact information and detailed aftercare instructions.
Recovery After Liposuction
Recovery after liposuction is not as long and as painful as you may think. After only a few days, you can be back at work. Dr Carmen will instruct you to wear a compression garment for some time after the surgery, usually a couple of weeks. In the first day or two post-op, you should rest and take plenty of fluids.
A short slow gentle walk can increase the blood flow and can help speed up the recovery process. Dr Carmen may advise you to take zinc and some multivitamins to boost your immune system and help with liposuction recovery.
Minimising Scars After Liposuction
Incisions that are made during the liposuction are very small and are made in natural crevices of the skin whenever possible. Scars take some time to mature, but if you feel uncomfortable with even small scars, you may discuss some scar revision and minimisation procedures. These include, but are not limited to skin resurfacing, topical silicone-based creams and micro-needling. These non-surgical procedures can yield good results.
Longer-Term Results of Liposuction
Liposuction is not a substitute for a well-balanced diet and regular physical activity. It does not substitute for dieting and is not meant to remove large volumes of fat and fatty tissues. To ensure long-term results, special attention should be paid to food intake, since liposuction does not remove all the fat cells. The leftover fat cells can still increase in volume and take up any extra calories you have consumed.
Am I A Good Candidate For Liposuction?
- have a few extra kilos that you would like to have removed
- have been exercising
- had stable weight in the past six to twelve months,
- Prepared to give up smoking
- a healthy diet
then you might be a good candidate for a liposuction procedure. Contact Dr Carmen and discuss your case with her.
Price & Cost – How Much Is Liposuction In Melbourne ?
In general, the final price of a liposuction procedure depends on many factors which include hospital costs, surgeon’s fee, anaesthetist’s fee, assistants’ fee and any medication and additional costs that may arise during your surgery. For a better understanding of the pricing profile, consult our pricing page.
Funding Your Liposuction Surgery
Although medicare and health insurance does not cover cosmetic surgery procedures like liposuction, you may be able to find a funding solution for your liposuction procedure on Dr Carmen’s payment plans and medical finance webpage.
Celebrities who had Liposuction
Many celebrities have had liposuction. It is a quick and efficient way to contour your body and have a Hollywood-like figure before a big event. Jamie Lee Curtis, Kim Kardashian, The Rock, Susan Sarandon, Chrissy Teigen and Linda Evangelista are believed to be some of them.
Is Liposuction Worth It?
Yes, Liposuction is worth it. Many patients love the quick, almost ‘overnight’, reshaping and recontouring of their bodies. They generally feel happier and are healthier. Some report that they also feel more confident in both public and private life. Realself patient surveys report a 90% satisfaction rate with Liposuction.
FAQs about Liposuction
What is the best surgery for belly fat?
- Liposuction is the best surgical procedure to reduce smaller stubborn amounts of belly fat.
Does liposuction work immediately?
- Liposuction is a short procedure that gives good results once the recovery time is over.
Will I have a flat stomach after lipo?
- Most likely – Yes. After the swelling has subsided, you may have a flat stomach, depending on the firmness of your abdominal muscles. If your abdominal muscles (abs) are laxed, you may need a Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty to tighten the muscles.
How do you get a flat stomach after liposuction?
- Liposuction does not remove all your fat deposits – there will be a little bit of fat left. To make sure that fat is not stored in remaining fat cells in unusual locations, practice a combination of a well-balanced diet and physical activity to stay fit and toned up.
How can I lose my belly fat overnight?
- Liposuction promises results delivered in a short period but not overnight. Your belly will be of desired shape and size after the recovery period is finished.
How can I lose tummy fat fast?
- Liposuction and Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty are the fastest way to lose tummy fat in a short time.
Is liposuction safe or dangerous?
- Liposuction is quite a safe procedure for as long as it is carried out by an experienced specialised plastic surgeon in hospital, sanitary conditions.
Does liposuction permanently remove fat?
- Yes, liposuction permanently removes fat. Some fat cells remain and they can increase in size if your caloric intake is too high. Some research shows that new fat cells can also be formed even in adulthood.
Can liposuction remove 40kg+?
- Liposuction is NOT a procedure for removing large quantities of fat. Liposuction is not a substitute for dieting, a balanced diet and exercising. Liposuction helps tone and sculpts the body once the weight has been brought to a more-or-less ideal weight.
Can I get liposuction if I’m obese?
- Liposuction is not recommended for obese patients with a very high BMI, as it does not remove large volumes of fat.
Can a man get liposuction?
- Yes, a man can get liposuction. Liposuction removes fatty deposits regardless of sex.
Is it better to lose weight before or after liposuction?
- It is better to lose weight before liposuction. This way, you are closer to your desired weight, the procedure is shorter, recovery faster and results easier to predict.
What should you not do before liposuction?
- You should not smoke, consume alcohol, eat at least six hours before the surgery and should, in general, follow any other prohibitions that your specialised plastic surgeon may have told you about.
How much weight can you lose with liposuction?
- Most surgeons limit the amount of fat they remove in a single liposuction procedure to less than 5kg. This is because the chances of undesirable surgery outcomes increase with the increase in the volume of fat that is removed.
How painful is liposuction?
- Liposuction is carried out under local anaesthesia or general anaesthesia so there is no pain. During the recovery time, some discomfort can be felt, while the pain is easily managed utilizing a pain reliever. Contact Dr Carmen for more information.
Does skin tighten after liposuction?
- Some skin tightness may be felt during the recovery, although the liposuction procedure does not address the issue of saggy skin. If saggy skin is your concern, you may want to consult your specialised plastic surgeon about a tummy tuck procedure. Laser or Vaser Lipo may offer some skin tightening effects.
Is it easier to lose weight after liposuction?
- Liposuction does not make it easier to lose weight. Some patients do report that they find it easier to lose weight for the sole reason that they want to keep the contour they got after the liposuction.
Does arm lipo work?
- Yes, liposuction can remove fat from numerous areas of the body. Consult your specialised plastic surgeon for an estimation of what results can be achieved in your case.
What happens to liposuction fat?
- It gets discarded as medical waste. Alternatively, you may have that fat purified and injected elsewhere in the body – some surgical procedures do this exact thing, such as the Brazilian Butt Lift and some Breast Augmentation procedures.
Does Lipo change your shape?
- Yes, liposuction is a body reshaping or a body contouring procedure that changes the shape of your body.
Benefits of Liposuction vs Coolsculpting?
- Liposuctioncan yield faster and better results than Coolsculpting. Coolsculpting may take up to 4 months to get visible results, with liposuction the results are apparent several weeks after the procedure.
What is better lipo or tummy tuck?
- Liposuction aims at removing small amounts of fatty tissue from targeted areas. It can remove up to 5kg of fat at once. Beware Mega Liposuction or large volume Liposcution removal. A tummy tuck procedure removes some fat and saggy skin and is usually performed on patients who have had a massive weight loss.
How much fat can be removed with a tummy tuck?
- A tummy tuck procedure could remove up to 10kg of fatty tissue and excess skin.
Why is my stomach still big after liposuction?
- Some swelling and fluid accumulation are normal after a liposuction procedure. You should be wearing a compression garment to help your body reabsorb the fluids.
Does Lipo leave scars?
- Lipo may leave minor scars at places of incision. These can be reduced using a scar revision procedure.
Why do I weigh more after lipo?
- Some swelling and liquid accumulation are a normal occurrence post-op and may lead to a short-term increase in weight after a liposuction procedure.
What happens if you don’t wear a compression garment after lipo?
- If you do not wear a compression garment, you may experience stronger swelling. It is also possible to get less-than-satisfying results this way since the compression garment helps the body retain the desired figure post-op.
Do love handles come back after lipo?
- Love handles can return if you are not successful in maintaining a healthy diet and restricting your caloric intake.
Why does my skin feel so tight after lipo?
- Skin tightness is a normal sensation during the recovery time after a liposuction procedure due to post surgery swelling.
Can I get lipo twice?
- Yes, you can get liposuction twice. The second liposuction can be a revision procedure or an entirely new liposuction.
Does insurance cover liposuction?
- Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery procedure and is seen as elective surgery. Therefore, no coverage is provided, although you may opt for a financing plan.
Combining Liposuction with other Associated Surgeries
Liposuction can be successfully combined with a tummy tuck, facelift, reduction mammaplasty, arm lift, thigh lift or body contouring to get evenb better results.
This way, the recovery time may be a little more uncomfortable, but you will be able to save a lot of time by recovering from two procedures at the same time.
You may choose to better utilise the time spent in general anaesthesia and the recovery time by consulting your specialised plastic surgeon, Dr Carmen Munteanu, about the possibility of having two surgical procedures performed at the same time.
Preparing for Your Liposuction Patient Journey
Always consult Dr Carmen about any concerns you may have. Remove all piercings and avoid having any new tattoos prior to the surgery. Have a shower morning before the surgery. Any hair extensions and any metal have to be removed. Bring any paperwork with you and prepare for a short hospital stay and plan to have somebody take you home: you will not be able to drive by yourself.
Get prepared at home – You may want to stock up your fridge and your pantry and run all errands you may have in the upcoming few weeks. Eat a lot of healthy foods weeks before the surgery and take multivitamins and zinc supplements to boost your immune system.
How to Find The Best Liposuction Surgeon In Melbourne
Finding the best liposuction surgeon in Melbourne may not be an easy task. You can look online for photos and reviews but make sure that you choose a plastic surgeon (not just a doctor or undertrained cosmetic surgeon) who is allowed to operate in a proper accredited surgical theatre in a hospital and provides adequate post-op care.
Why Choose Dr Carmen?
Dr Carmen Munteanu MD FRACS (Plast) is a specialised plastic surgeon and a certified surgeon as well. She specialises in aesthetic breast surgery and body contouring. With over 25 years of experience in the surgical field, she is renowned for providing her patients with excellent care and for having a very professional, highly individualised approach.
- Cannula – A thin, hollow tube used during liposuction to suck out the fatty contents.
- General anaesthesia – a drug or gas given to a patient to alter consciousness.
- Local anaesthesia – a drug administered into the skin or underlying layers to help numb the pain.
- Liposuction – a fat removal surgical technique
- Lipoplasty – liposuction
- Tummy tuck – a surgical procedure aimed at removing extra skin and larger amounts of fat from the body.
Liposuction Risk & Complications
Some risks are common during the liposuction recovery: swelling, bruising, discomfort and skin tightness are experienced by most patients. Some other complications may occur, although rarely: allergic reactions, asymmetry, hematoma and reduced sensation in the area that liposuction was performed on. Allergic reactions are usually a side effect of some drugs that you may be instructed to take before or after the surgical procedure.
Further Reading about Liposuction
- US National Library of Medicine PMC – Unfavourable outcomes of liposuction and their management
- American Board of Cosmetic Surgery on Liposuction Guide
- Americal Society of Plastic Surgeons on Liposuction Surgical Procedures
Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen Munteanu MD. FRACS (Plas) is a very skilled and compassionate Specialist Plastic Surgeon based in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
She is one of Melbourne’s most experienced and sought-after female Plastic Surgeons specialising in aesthetic breast surgery and body contouring. That includes Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Breast Implant Surgery and Body Surgery.
With over 25 years of surgical experience in Plastic Surgery, Dr Carmen firmly believes that a good surgeon is first a good doctor. She will always take into consideration all the health aspects and personal circumstances of each patient.
A dedicated Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr Carmen is renowned for providing exceptional care, support and helping achieve realistic goals for her patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Carmen
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu by paying the $275 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Email us for more information: email@example.com