Breast Augmentation Surgery in Melbourne, Victoria
A Breast Augmentation or Boob Job using breast implants can enhance both the size and contours of the breasts.
Dr Carmen Munteanu, Melbourne Plastic Surgeon and expert Breast Surgeon can help you to ascertain if breast augmentation by implant or using your own fat is the best choice to achieve your desired silhouette.
Download Dr Carmen’s Guide to Breast Augmentation with Implants
Are you a candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Enhancing the shape and size of your breasts with breast implants is a highly personal choice which people consider for a myriad of reasons. Perhaps you feel your breasts didn’t naturally develop as much as you would like, or you’ve noticed they have dropped over time, or reduced in size following a pregnancy or weight loss.
No matter what your reasoning for considering this surgery, Dr Munteanu is dedicated to helping her patients achieve a natural appearance and soft feel which she believes is the best approach.
Dr Munteanu works closely with each and every patient to ascertain the best options to achieve their desired outcome.
You can find out more about the breast augmentation options available at Aesthetik Profile and the procedure by browsing through the links below.
Breast Augmentation decisions
The decision to undergo breast augmentation is a delicate and personal decision, involving both physical and emotional desires. During your initial consultation, Dr Carmen will discuss your concerns and expectations and provide recommendations. These will include the implant type, the method of insertion and positioning, as well as the healing process. Dr Carmen and her team will help you make a well-informed decision planning your breast augmentation and guide you through your surgical journey.
Breast augmentation is not a one-size-fits-all procedure; Dr Carmen will listen to your surgical desires, assess your reasons for surgery and recommend a personalised treatment plan to suit your size and shape if you are deemed suitable for the procedure.
Breast Augmentation Before and after photos
See More Breast Augmentation Before and After Images by visiting Dr Carmen’s Real Patient Gallery
Breast Augmentation procedure
Modern surgical techniques and technologies have redefined the possible outcomes and patient experience for breast augmentation surgery. This has been a particularly important advancement for ensuring natural-looking outcomes and increased longevity of the implants.
Dr Carmen Munteanu can utilise a range of different techniques, depending on the nature of your tailored procedure. These are outlined in the points above.
Breast augmentation surgery generally takes 1-2 hours and is performed under general anaesthesia. The surgery can usually be performed as a day-stay procedure, however, depending on your individual condition, you may be required to stay overnight in the hospital. Dr Carmen will follow the surgical plan discussed with you prior to surgery.
Your Breast Implant Surgery Options & Choices
There are at least 8 different options and surgery choices for Breast Implant Surgery. Breast Implants come in a wide variety of brands, sizes, profiles, fillings and shapes.
The Breast Implant Surgery has many options including incision site, implant placement position and whether fat transfer will be used for additional shaping and a better aesthetic outcome.
Visit the Breast Implant Surgery options and choices for more detail about implants and surgery,
A Hybrid Breast Augmentation – Adding Fat Grafting
A fat transfer breast augmentation utilises fat taken from other parts of your body through liposuction, and then deposits it into the breasts to get a better shape and more pleasing aesthetic result. Fat can be transferred to your breasts with an implant (Hybrid or Composite Breast Augmentation) or without an implant (Fat Transfer Breast Enlargement)
The risks in this procedure include infection, cysts, microcalcification, death of the fat cells, and even the possibility that the deposited cells will migrate out of the breast area. It may be necessary to undergo “touch-up” injections to maintain the shape of your breasts if you chose this option.
Recovery after Breast Augmentation Surgery
After your surgery, you will be taken to a recovery room and closely monitored. At this time, your breasts will be wrapped with gauze dressings, and either an elastic bandage or support bra will be used to help minimise swelling and provide support to your breasts and the healing phase begins. After a few hours, you may be permitted to go home and rest.
Before you leave our surgery, you will receive detailed instructions to help you care for your breasts, prescribed medication to aid in the healing process and reduce the risk of infection, and your follow-up date with Dr Carmen.
You will need to cleanse the incision sites and apply an ointment to the area as directed, as well as wearing a support garment for the time prescribed – generally the first week or two. You will also receive Dr Carmen’s private number to address any concerns or prevent further complications immediately.
The instructions you receive will be personalised to perfectly suit your unique circumstances. It’s essential that you follow all instructions carefully to ensure the best possible outcome.
Following a post-surgical recovery period of about 24 to 48 hours and an additional reduced activity period of a few days it is likely you will experience discomfort and swelling to the surgical area for a few weeks.
You can begin introducing exercise and normal activity under the direction of Dr Carmen.
How much is a Breast Augmentation in Melbourne? – Boob Job prices & costs
All Surgery is customised and Dr Carmen’s team will give you a price for your Breast uplifting surgery that will depend on the exact type of procedure you require, the hospital you attend and the length of your stay.
After your initial consultation, you will be given a detailed quote. This will include the Surgeon’s fee, Anaesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee and the hospital fees.
We can also provide information on Payment Plans, Finance, Private Health Insurance and different methods of payment.
Risks and Complications of Breast Implant Removal Surgery
Every surgery has some risks and possible complications.
Dr Carmen will cover the potential risks and complications during your consultation as part of your informed consent. She will also explain the measures she will take in order to reduce your risks as much as possible.
Possible complications of surgery include the following:
- Complications related to general anaesthetic or side effects of drugs used in hospital
- Bleeding – reduced by preoperative testing of possible blood anomalies, accurate technique, use of drains, particular dressings, compressive garments
- Infection – prevented/reduced by judicious use of antibiotics, good surgical technique, modern sealing dressings, appropriate care, advice
- Abnormal or asymmetrical scarring– Many scars can be improved if approached in the right time frame in the right way.
- Fluid build-up or seroma
- Other risks include – Numbness and Pain, Wound breakdown and delayed healing, unsightly or keloid Scarring,
- Serious complications such as possible Heart attack, Deep Vein Thrombosis, Pulmonary Embolism
For more information about risks of surgery and possible complications
Specific possible complications of breast surgery can include the following:
- Changes to nipple sensation majority transient in nature,
- Potential breast asymmetries– “breasts are sisters not twins”
- Risk of BIA-ALCL– Generally associated only with textured implants
- Risk of BII– Breast implant illness
Inflammation, Infection, Pain, Seroma, Scar presence, Asymmetry, Necrosis
Things you can do to minimise your risks and complications of surgery
- Read all your surgical documents and follow instructions of your surgeon precisely – rest & Allow time to heal, wear your compression garments as instructed, avoid removing your own bandages or touching at the incision site until it has healed properly.
- Do NOT Smoke at all during the surgical journey – especially critical in the periods before and after surgery
- Be accurate and upfront about ALL your medications, supplements and vitamins that you are currently taking – Tell both Dr Carmen and your anaesthetist
- When providing your medical history give specific details about ANY past difficulties you have had with surgery, anaesthesia, hospital visits or healing
- Thorough pre-washing of your own body prior to surgery can reduce skin bacteria and risk of infection.
- Successful surgical outcomes are the result of a number of considerations – realistic surgical goals, realistic patient expectations, and a good knowledge and understanding of possible risks and complications.
Further Reading – Medical References
- ABCS- Guide to Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Aesthetic Surgery Journal- Current Trends in Breast Augmentation: An International Analysis
- American Society of Plastic Surgeon page on Breast Augmentation surgery
- MayoClinic page on Breast Augmentation surgery
- Aesthetic Plastic Surgery- Fat graft in composite breast augmentation with round implants: a new concept for breast reshaping
Planning your Breast Augmentation with Dr Carmen
There are many options when it comes to breast implants, including size, material, shape, placement, and incision. You can find out more about each option in the information below.
Every option requires careful and individual planning to ensure it is the correct choice for your desired outcome. Each and every option has its advantages and disadvantages which need to be addressed and understood before you proceed with your surgery.
Dr Carmen offers breast augmentation procedures which are anatomy-based; she strongly believes the most natural appearance and a soft feel is ideal for her patients. Further to this, while you may have your own ideas about your ideal cup size, the dimensions of your body, specifically the width of your rib cage underneath the breast and your shoulder frame are the main determinants of the maximum size of implant which is feasible for you to receive.
During your consultation Dr Carmen will carefully listen to your concerns and expectations, as well as discussing your reasons for surgery, health history, and risk factors. Your diet, exercise, personality, body frame and quality of your breast tissue are also factors which will need to be taken into consideration.
After conducting a comprehensive medical examination, Dr Carmen will advise you of the options she feels are best suited to your individual case. She will also further discuss the expected results, and recommend a treatment plan, from the preparation stage through to the aftercare.
The decision to undergo breast surgery is a delicate and personal one. For this reason, my patients receive the utmost respect, care and attention to feel safe during their surgical journey.– Dr Carmen Munteanu
Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen Munteanu MD. FRACS (Plas) is a very skilled and compassionate Specialist Plastic Surgeon based in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
She is one of Melbourne’s most experienced and sought-after female Plastic Surgeons specialising in aesthetic breast surgery and body contouring. That includes Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Breast Implant Surgery and Body Surgery.
With over 25 years of surgical experience in Plastic Surgery, Dr Carmen firmly believes that a good surgeon is first a good doctor. She will always take into consideration all the health aspects and personal circumstances of each patient.
A dedicated Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr Carmen is renowned for providing exceptional care, support and helping achieve realistic goals for her patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Carmen
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu by paying the $275 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Email us for more information: email@example.com