Facelift Surgery in Melbourne Victoria
Facelift surgery reverses unwanted signs of ageing by tightening your facial muscles and redefining the jawline. This procedure can help achieve a more rejuvenated and youthful facial appearance.
Dr Carmen Munteanu is a specialist plastic surgeon and facelift expert. She provides dedicated and compassionate care to her patients who wish to undergo facial rejuvenation.
This procedure is tailored to suit each individual patient’s desires and natural features. The techniques used are designed to contour the jawline and firm the facial tissue without leaving obvious signs of surgery. All incision lines will be made in areas which are disguised by natural creases or your hairline, and will fade as part of the healing process.
A classic facelift addressed all areas of the face at once, including the forehead and brows. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to this surgery though; different problems require different solutions. In some cases, you may only require a brow and forehead lift, or you may find blepharoplasty, which addresses the eyelids, could achieve the results you desire.
At Aesthetik Profile we also offer non-surgical treatments such as chemical peels which can be used in association with a facelift to further enhance the results.
Dr Carmen Munteanu devotes meticulous attention to this procedure to ensure a smooth and youthful result.
Download Dr Carmen’s Guide to Facial Rejuvenation – Surgical & Non-Surgical Treatments
The face is the mirror of the mind, and eyes without speaking confess the secrets of the heart. – St. Jerome
What can a facelift address?
Facelift surgery is able to:
- Improve the visible signs of ageing on the face
- Tighten the underlying SMAS and Platysma
- Remove sagging skin
- Restore a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance
Preparing for Facelift Surgery
Quit smoking – a MUST!
If you are a smoker, it is of utmost importance that you cease smoking at least six weeks prior to your facelift surgery. Smoking slows the flow of blood to the skin, and can increase the risk of problems with the healing process after your surgery.
Medications and supplements
Arthritis medications, anti-inflammatories, Asprin, and certain vitamins and herbal remedies can cause bleeding and will also need to be stopped at least 10 days prior to your facelift.
The Facelift procedure
Prior to the commencement of your surgery you will be administered with either intravenous sedation or general anaesthetic to ensure your comfort throughout the procedure. Dr Carmen will recommend the best choice for your unique needs.
The incision for a traditional facelift begins in the hairline at the temple, continues around the ear, and ends in the lower scalp. Fat from the face, neck and jowls may be redistributed or sculpted, and underlying tissues repositioned. The deeper layers of the facial muscles are commonly lifted too. Excess skin is trimmed away, and the remaining skin will then be re-draped over the uplifted contours.
As an alternative, it is also possible to use shorter incisions in the temple which continue around the ear, and possibly also within the lower eyelids, or under the upper lip.
Loose neck skin, fat accumulating under the chin and sagging jowls can be addressed through a neck lift, the incision for which begins at the front of the ear lobes before wrapping behind the ear, and ending in the lower scalp.
Once the facelift has been completed, a bandage may be applied around your face to help minimise bruising and swelling. It may also be necessary to place thin tubes to help drain away any excess fluid or blood.
Recovery after Facelift Surgery
Following your surgery you will be given specific and personalised instructions for caring for the surgical site and drains, as well as medications to aid the healing process. You’ll also be advised of any specific concerns to watch out for until your follow-up consultation. Read more about Recovery after Facelift – Post-op Timeline & Best Tips.
Face Lift Surgery Costs & fees – How much is a Face Lift?
At your initial consultation, you will be given a detailed quote for your chosen procedure. This will include a Surgeon’s fee, Anaesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee and the hospital fees.
Dr Carmen’s team will provide you with a customised fee for your surgery depending on the type of procedure, hospital and how long you want to stay in hospital. An approximate fee range for your face lift surgery can be provided over the phone when you speak to a Patient Care Advisor. We can also provide information on different methods of payment.
Find out more about Face lift Prices and Consultation Fees
Results of a Facelift
It may take several months following a facelift for the swelling to fully dissipate, and the lines left by the incisions to mature.
Once the bruising and swelling begin to subside, the results of your surgery will begin to emerge.
While this procedure generally garners excellent results, in certain circumstances it may not be possible to achieve the optimal result in just one surgery, and a second surgery may be necessary.
To ensure the longevity of your new youthful appearance, it’s best to maintain a healthy lifestyle and ensure you’re using sun protection daily.
Risks and Complications of Facelift Surgery
Every surgery has some risks and possible complications.
Dr Carmen will cover the potential risks and complications during your consultation as part of your informed consent. She will also explain the measures she will take in order to reduce your risks as much as possible.
Possible complications of surgery include the following:
- Complications related to general anaesthetic or side effects of drugs used in hospital
- Bleeding – reduced by preoperative testing of possible blood anomalies, accurate technique, use of drains, particular dressings, compressive garments
- Infection – prevented/reduced by judicious use of antibiotics, good surgical technique, modern sealing dressings, appropriate care, advice
- Abnormal or asymmetrical scarring– Many scars can be improved if approached in the right time frame in the right way.
- Fluid build-up or seroma
- Other risks include – Numbness and Pain, Wound breakdown and delayed healing, unsightly or keloid Scarring,
- Serious complications such as possible Heart attack, Deep Vein Thrombosis, Pulmonary Embolism
For more information about risks of surgery and possible complications
Things you can do to minimise your risks and complications of surgery
- Read all your surgical documents and follow instructions of your surgeon precisely – rest & Allow time to heal, wear your compression garments as instructed, avoid removing your own bandages or touching at the incision site until it has healed properly.
- Do NOT Smoke at all during the surgical journey – especially critical in the periods before and after surgery
- Be accurate and upfront about ALL your medications, supplements and vitamins that you are currently taking – Tell both Dr Carmen and your anaesthetist
- When providing your medical history give specific details about ANY past difficulties you have had with surgery, anaesthesia, hospital visits or healing
- Thorough pre-washing of your own body prior to surgery can reduce skin bacteria and risk of infection.
- Successful surgical outcomes are the result of a number of considerations – realistic surgical goals, realistic patient expectations, and a good knowledge and understanding of possible risks and complications.
Further Reading – Medical References
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery- The Modern Male Rhytidectomy: Lessons Learned
- ABCS- Facelift Guide
- MayoClinic- Face-Lift (Rhytidectomy)
- American Society of Plastic Surgeon- Facelift Surgery: Rhytidectomy
- Medical News Today- Facelift: What you need to know.
Planning your facelift with Dr Carmen
At your pre-operative consultation Dr Carmen will listen to your concerns and desired outcomes, and conduct an examination before advising you on options and her recommendations for your surgery. It is of utmost importance that you fully understand the procedure, the risks involved, and the expected results. A facelift is an invasive procedure which will result in swelling and bruising for a period of time, with results not clearly discernible for quite some time. The remodelling takes even longer, and scar maturation can take up to 12 months. While the scars will be permanent, Dr Carmen is able to minimise their visibility by ensuring they are located in inconspicuous places and natural creases.
Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen Munteanu MD. FRACS (Plas) is a very skilled and compassionate Specialist Plastic Surgeon based in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
She is one of Melbourne’s most experienced and sought-after female Plastic Surgeons specialising in aesthetic breast surgery and body contouring. That includes Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Breast Implant Surgery and Body Surgery.
With over 25 years of surgical experience in Plastic Surgery, Dr Carmen firmly believes that a good surgeon is first a good doctor. She will always take into consideration all the health aspects and personal circumstances of each patient.
A dedicated Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr Carmen is renowned for providing exceptional care, support and helping achieve realistic goals for her patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Carmen
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu by paying the $275 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Email us for more information: email@example.com