Fleur De Lis Abdominoplasty in Melbourne, Victoria by Dr Carmen
- Have you lost a significant amount of weight?
- Is there too much droopy skin hanging over your tummy?
- Do you have a lot of excess skin around your middle?
Dr Carmen Munteanu is a caring and precise female specialist plastic surgeon who is an expert at fleur de lis surgery for post weightloss patients with lots of excess skin.
Download Dr Carmen’s Guide to Excess Skin Reduction Surgery
What is a Fleur De Lis Surgery?
Fleur de Lis Surgery or FDL is medically known as vertical abdominoplasty or corset lipectomy and is especially for patients who have lost a large amount of weight and now have loose stretched skin.
The FDL surgery is a more complex and extensive surgical procedure than a tummy tuck as it removes excess skin and helps to achieve a tighter appearance in the whole abdominal and mid belly area – especially above the belly button.
Fleur de Lis Surgery is used in cases where it is necessary to remove excess skin in both the vertical and horizontal directions, while standard abdominoplasty or tummy tuck only removes excess skin in the horizontal direction.
For this reason, this procedure is called “Fleur de Lis” because it vividly describes the three leaf or three lobes shaped area that the specialist surgeon operates on – between the chest and hips.
Thi procedure is particularly suitable for patients when the amount of sagging skin creates a problem not only on the lower abdomen but also on the upper belly and sides area.
This Vertical abdominoplasty is used when patients want to achieve better and more pronounced contours of their abdomen and tighter and better skin.
Am I A Good Candidate For FDL Abdominoplasty Surgery?
Candidates for FDL or vertical abdominoplasty are people with loose tissue, especially after multiple pregnancies, significant massive weight loss due to gastric sleeve or gastric bypass, but also all those who suffer from sagging upper stomach skin due to age or other abdominal surgeries.
Hanging skin and loss of contours in the abdomen area can be a huge psychological burden and cause reduced satisfaction, insecurity, and dissatisfaction with appearance.
If you suffer from a lot of excess belly skin, consider vertical abdominoplasty as a solution that has much more visible and noticeable results than various non-invasive procedures and exercises that cannot achieve the desired look.
In order for Dr Carmen be able to state with certainty that you are the right candidate for Fleur de Lis Surgery, it is necessary to have a detailed consultation during which your general health will be checked to assess risks of possible complications and side effects.
Overall, you might make a good candidate for Fleur de Lis surgery if:
- You are dissatisfied with the appearance of your abdomen and suffer from reduced self-confidence caused by hanging excess skin
- Excess skin is present on the lower abdomen, but on the upper area and sides as well
- You are in good general health and do not suffer from serious illnesses or medical conditions
- You have achieved a stable weight and have a suitable BMI
- Do not use medications that could jeopardize the procedure and recovery
- You have realistic expectations of surgery
- You are a mentally stable person
- You are not a smoker, or you are a smoker who is willing to quit smoking well before surgery
- You understand all the possible potential risks and complications of vertical abdominoplasty
Benefits Of Fleur De Lis Surgery
Vertical abdominoplasty, or Fleur de Lis Surgery, can improve contours of your abdomen and body and achieves a tighter overall appearance.
Fleur de Lis surgery improves the waistline and tightens the skin in two directions, which makes the results dramatic.
After the operation you will feel much better and more confident, your abdomen will get more pronounced contours, a more beautiful shape, a pronounced belly button, and tighter skin.
All the excess skin that makes you wear baggy clothes will become a thing of the past, and your body will get a new and more attractive shape, no matter from which angle you are looking yourself at. You will probably feel more energised and able to exercise.
For all those who dream of an hourglass-shaped body figure, Fleur de Lis Surgery can really help!
Fleur De Lis Abdominoplasty Surgery Before And After Photos
These photographs representing typical results our FDL patients get. Results depend on individual patient circumstances and can vary significantly.
You can see the Vertical Scar down the patients midline. This will fade over time.
Visit the clinic to see the real patient photo gallery of Before and After Fleur de Lis surgery
The Fleur De Lis Surgical Procedure
Vertical abdominoplasty is a complex surgical procedure. It is important to understand that due to the very nature of the procedure that removes excess skin in the vertical and horizontal area of the abdomen, the Fleur de Lis procedure creates an additional, vertical scar that extends along the vertical line of the abdomen.
In addition to vertical abdominoplasty, Dr Carmen will create a vertical incision around the midline of the abdomen, along with a horizontal approach, typical of classic abdominoplasty.
Thanks to this technique, it is possible to remove significant amounts of tissue located along the central zone of the anterior abdominal wall.
The skill and experience of our specialist plastic surgeon Dr Carmen careful surgical incision can help the scar fade over time and gradually loses most of its visibility.
After these operation is performed and excess skin is removed, Dr Carmen will close the incision site with sutures, and you will begin the healing and recovery process.
Recovery After FDL
Recovery mainly depends on the complexity and extent of the procedure itself. Like any other invasive surgery, vertical abdominoplasty is also very individual, and therefore recovery is different for each patient.
You can expect moderate pain that is relieved by using painkillers prescribed by Dr Carmen. Also, redness, bruising, and swelling are normal side effects after this procedure, but you can alleviate them by strictly following instructions and wearing a compression garment for the first few days.
If you require a more extensive procedure, it is possible that you will stay for some time under observation in the hospital to prevent unwanted complications, it varies for each person.
Under normal circumstances, you will be discharged to home care after a few days, so that you can begin the home healing process.
It will take longer to fully recover. Full recovery depends largely on the extensiveness of the procedure, and the ability of your body to speed up the healing process.
The most important thing is avoid smoking – which means no nicotine in any form. Smoking reduces vital blood supply to the wound areas that are healing.
It is critical to completely rest and recover in order to let the internal wound heal properly before the dissolvable internal sutures lose their effectiveness.
After 2-3 weeks, you will be able to perform easier tasks, and during that period you can expect to return to work or school.
Avoid sports activities and strenuous efforts for at least 6 weeks after surgery.
Complications and Risks of Fleur De Lis Surgery
Fleur de Lis is a very complex surgical procedure that can only be performed by the best body lift experts and top plastic surgeons in Australia.
Although it is a more complex procedure than traditional abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck), the percentage of cases with developed complications is very similar and low.
To reduce the possible risks and complications of vertical abdominoplasty, it is very important to choose the best Fleur De Lis surgeon who has enough experience and knowledge to perform this procedure.
Some complications of FDL surgery include:
- Unsightly scars
- Bleeding or Hematoma (internal bleeding)
- Abdomen Asymmetry
- Loss of Umbilicus
- Dissatisfaction with the results
- Seroma (internal Fluid build up)
- Bad reaction to anesthesia
Dr Carmen will cover risks and complications in detail during the consultation in your informed consent. You can read more about risks and complications of surgery on our webpage.
Your Fleur De Lis Patient Journey
During the first consultation, Dr Carmen will talk to you in detail about your wishes and expectations from FDL surgery. You will be informed about all potential risks and complications that may arise during the surgical procedure and recovery. Also, you will undergo detailed medical examinations to determine with certainty that you are a good candidate for vertical abdominoplasty.
The appropriate anesthesia will be applied, after which the specialist plastic surgeon will begin the process of removing excess tissue and skin. The incision site will be closed with sutures, and from that moment the recovery and healing process begins.
Dr Carmen and her team will instruct you with a recovery plan. Following this recovery plan will provide you with a quick and painless recovery while ensuring optimal results.
How much is Fleur De Lis Surgery in Melbourne? – Cost and Prices
Every patient is different, therefore the prices vary. You will be given a price quote after your first consultation.
Your Fleur De Lis Surgery quote will include your surgeon’s fee, anesthetist’s fee, perhaps a surgical assistant fee, and the hospital fees.
If you want to get more information about costs, payment methods, and options, you can visit our price guide.
Further Reading – Medical References
- Body contouring surgery following massive weight loss
- TOP 7 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW WHEN CONSIDERING A FLEUR DE LIS TUMMY TUCK
- Annals of Plastic Surgery- Modified Fleur-de-lis Abdominoplasty for Massive Weight Loss Patients
- Aesthet Surgery Journal– Abdominal Contour Surgery for the Massive Weight Loss Patient: The Fleur-De-Lis Approach
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery- Fleur-de-Lis abdominoplasty: a safe alternative to traditional abdominoplasty for the massive weight loss patient
FAQs about FDL
How do I know if I need a classic Tummy Tuck or Fleur De Lis Surgery?
- Fleur De Lis, or vertical abdominoplasty, is a procedure for all patients who have a greater excess of skin tissue in the lower and upper abdomen, while Tummy Tuck is intended for those who encounter this problem only in the lower abdominal wall.
Can I undergo Fleur De Lis if I am obese?
- People who are obese or suffer from being overweight (morbid obesity) are generally not yet ready for this procedure. Contact Dr Carmen’s team for more information about an ideal BMI when preparing for FDL surgery.
Is there an age limit that determines a good candidate for vertical abdominoplasty?
- FDL Surgery is a procedure that can be performed on all adult patients who meet the rules of the profession and the prerequisites to be good candidates for FDL Surgery.
Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen Munteanu MD. FRACS (Plas) is a very skilled and compassionate Specialist Plastic Surgeon based in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
She is one of Melbourne’s most experienced and sought-after female Plastic Surgeons specialising in aesthetic breast surgery and body contouring. That includes Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Breast Implant Surgery and Body Surgery.
With over 25 years of surgical experience in Plastic Surgery, Dr Carmen firmly believes that a good surgeon is first a good doctor. She will always take into consideration all the health aspects and personal circumstances of each patient.
A dedicated Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr Carmen is renowned for providing exceptional care, support and helping achieve realistic goals for her patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Carmen
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu by paying the $275 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Email us for more information: email@example.com