Body lift Surgery in Melbourne Victoria
A Body lift is a series of procedures to remove Excess Skin or Loose Rolls of Skin & Fat after Massive Weight Loss. The Body Surgery procedure can improve the contours of your body following significant weight loss
Dr Carmen Munteanu is a Melbourne Plastic Surgeon and post weight loss surgery expert. She offers upper and lower body lift surgery to help improve the tone and shape of your body’s underlying tissue which has lost elasticity.
Download Dr Carmen’s Guide to Body lift – Excess Skin Removal
It is important to note that a body lift is not intended strictly for the removal of excess fat. Where the skin has good elasticity and can conform naturally to a refreshed body shape, liposuction alone can be used. However, where the skin lacks elasticity, it may be recommended that a combination of liposuction and body lift techniques be utilised.
Dr Carmen will work with you to establish the best combination of treatments to help you achieve your desired outcomes.
Am I a Good Candidate for Body Lifting Surgery?
The bodylift procedure can offer excellent benefits to a variety of patients, including those who have lost a significant amount of weight through procedures such as a lap band, gastric bypass or sleeve (minimum 1 year recovery) and mothers with post-pregnancy concerns.
What are the Benefits of a Body Lifting Surgery?
While the initial effects of your body lift surgery will be immediately obvious, it can take up to two years for the final results to develop fully. To ensure the longevity of your newly contoured look, we recommend you continue to live a healthy lifestyle.
As a body lift addresses multiple different areas of the body, extensive incisions are required. The exact length and pattern required will be dependent on the location and amount of excess skin which needs to be removed. Dr Carmen Munteanu will utilise advanced techniques in performing your body lift surgery, and will strive to ensure the incisions are placed in areas which should be easily hidden by your clothing
A body lift can be targeted to specific areas if required.
“Nourishing yourself in a way that helps you blossom in the direction you want to go is attainable, and you are worth the effort.” – Deborah Day
Body Lift Before and After Photos Gallery of Real Patients of Dr Carmen
See more Body Lift Before and After photos of real patients of Dr Carmen – Body Lift Surgeon
What can a Lower Body Lift address?
A lower body lift uses techniques to improve the contouring of areas such as the stomach, buttocks, thighs and back, while an upper body lift refers to treatment of the breasts, chest and middle back.
- Abdominal area – either locally, or extending around the sides of the torso and the lower back
- Buttocks – low, flat or unevenly shaped
- Groin – skin sagging into the inner thigh
- Thighs – outer, inner or posterior thigh, or its circumference
What can an Upper Body Lift address?
- Breasts – Reduction, lift or other
- Arm & underarm – reducing sagging or droopy arms
- Back – sagging back skin
The Body Lifting Surgical procedure
Prior to the commencement of your surgery, you will be administered with either intravenous sedation or a general anaesthetic to ensure your comfort throughout.
Dr Carmen will advise you of the best choice for your unique circumstances.
A commonly used technique for a lower body lift utilises a pattern of incisions similar to a bikini to help tighten the buttocks, abdomen, thighs, waist and groin in a single procedure. An apron of excess skin and fat is repositioned and the tissues tightened through an incision which extends the circumference of the body.
Newly shaped contours will be formed through deep sutures in the underlying tissue. The incisions will be closed using sutures, clips, skin adhesives or tapes.
The exact technique used for your body lift will depend on your unique goals. Dr Carmen will advise you of the technique she recommends for you at your consultation.
Following the completion of the surgery bandages and dressings will be applied to the incisions, and you may also be fitted with temporary small plastic drains to help aid the release of excess bloody which can collect at the site of the incisions.
Recovery after Body Surgery
You will be provided with post-surgery instructions, tailored to your exact needs; this will include how to care for the surgical site, medications to take orally or apply to the site, how to care for drains which may be fitted, and when you will need to attend a follow up consultation with Dr Carmen.
How much is a Body Lift? – Surgery Costs & fees
At your initial consultation, you will be given a detailed quote for your chosen procedure. This will include a Surgeon’s fee, Anaesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee and the hospital fees.
Dr Carmen’s team will provide you a customised fee for your surgery depending on the type of procedure, hospital and how long you want to stay in hospital. An approximate fee range for your arm lift surgery can be provided over the phone when you speak to a Patient Care Advisor. We also provide information on different methods of payment.
Find out more about Body lift Prices and Consultation Fees
Planning your patient journey
At your pre-surgery consultation, Dr Carmen Munteanu will discuss your goals and ascertain if you are a suitable candidate for the body lift procedure. You will also be asked about any pre-existing medical conditions, current medications including herbal supplements and vitamins, and any allergies. Following a comprehensive evaluation Dr Carmen will then be able to advise you of your options, and recommend what she feels is the best treatment course for your unique circumstances.
If you have any questions or concerns about this procedure, Dr Carmen will be able to address these at your consultation. Don’t be shy!
Risks and Complications of Body LIft Surgery
Every surgery has some risks and possible complications.
Dr Carmen will cover the potential risks and complications during your consultation as part of your informed consent. She will also explain the measures she will take in order to reduce your risks as much as possible.
Possible complications of surgery include the following:
- Complications related to general anaesthetic or side effects of drugs used in hospital
- Bleeding – reduced by preoperative testing of possible blood anomalies, accurate technique, use of drains, particular dressings, compressive garments
- Infection – prevented/reduced by judicious use of antibiotics, good surgical technique, modern sealing dressings, appropriate care, advice
- Abnormal or asymmetrical scarring– Many scars can be improved if approached in the right time frame in the right way.
- Fluid build-up or seroma
- Other risks include – Numbness and Pain, Wound breakdown and delayed healing, unsightly or keloid Scarring,
- Serious complications such as possible Heart attack, Deep Vein Thrombosis, Pulmonary Embolism
For more information about risks of surgery and possible complications
Things you can do to minimise your risks and complications of surgery
- Read all your surgical documents and follow instructions of your surgeon precisely – rest & Allow time to heal, wear your compression garments as instructed, avoid removing your own bandages or touching at the incision site until it has healed properly.
- Do NOT Smoke at all during the surgical journey – especially critical in the periods before and after surgery
- Be accurate and upfront about ALL your medications, supplements and vitamins that you are currently taking – Tell both Dr Carmen and your anaesthetist
- When providing your medical history give specific details about ANY past difficulties you have had with surgery, anaesthesia, hospital visits or healing
- Thorough pre-washing of your own body prior to surgery can reduce skin bacteria and risk of infection.
- Successful surgical outcomes are the result of a number of considerations – realistic surgical goals, realistic patient expectations, and a good knowledge and understanding of possible risks and complications.
Further Reading – Medical References
- ASAPS – Aust plastic surgeon Association on Body lift Surgery
- ASPS on Body Contouring after Massive Weight Loss
- The American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery- An Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Protocol for Outpatient BodyLift Surgery
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery- The Lipo–Body Lift: A New Circumferential Body-Contouring Technique Useful after Bariatric Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeon- Body Lift: Improving Shape and Tone
- The Aesthetic Society- Lower Body Lift (belt lipectomy)
- WebMD-Body Contouring (Body Lift)
Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen Munteanu MD. FRACS (Plas) is a very skilled and compassionate Specialist Plastic Surgeon based in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
She is one of Melbourne’s most experienced and sought-after female Plastic Surgeons specialising in aesthetic breast surgery and body contouring. That includes Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Breast Implant Surgery and Body Surgery.
With over 25 years of surgical experience in Plastic Surgery, Dr Carmen firmly believes that a good surgeon is first a good doctor. She will always take into consideration all the health aspects and personal circumstances of each patient.
A dedicated Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr Carmen is renowned for providing exceptional care, support and helping achieve realistic goals for her patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Carmen
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu by paying the $275 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Email us for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org