Neck Lift Surgery and Jowls Surgery in Melbourne Victoria
A neck lift or a lower rhytidectomy is a surgical procedure to help improve the visible signs of ageing in your neck and jawline by correcting sagging or deeply wrinkled skin and excess fat.
This lower face rejuvenation procedure can also be performed in conjunction with a facelift or a brow lift.
Dr Carmen Munteanu is a specialist plastic surgeon and neck lift expert. She provides dedicated and compassionate care to her patients who wish to undergo neck rejuvenation.
Am I a Candidate for a Neck Lift?
If your upper facial area is still pleasing, but you’re noticing excess wrinkling of the neck skin, a double chin or heavy jowl lines, Dr Carmen can offer neck lift surgery to help you achieve a more youthful look.
What are the Benefits of a Neck Lift?
Neck surgery can:
- Tighten the underlying SMAS and Platysma
- Remove excess fat or skin from the neck
- Redefine the jawline and neck
- Improve the visible signs of ageing
Do I need a full Neck Lift or a mini Neck Lift
The incision line for your neck lift will depend on the procedure chosen for your unique circumstances; a full or traditional neck lift generally starts at the front of the lobe, extends behind the ear and finishes on the lower scalp, while a mini or limited neck lift incision is performed only around the ear.
Regardless of which procedure you undergo, all incision lines will be made in areas where they are disguised by natural creases, or your hairline.
The Neck Lift Surgical procedure
For your comfort you will be administered with anaesthetic prior to your surgery. You may receive either intravenous sedation or general anaesthetic depending on your circumstances; Dr Carmen will advise you of the best choice for you.
The incision required for your procedure will depend on whether you are undergoing a traditional neck lift or a limited neck lift.
If you are undergoing a traditional neck lift, the incision will normally begin in the hairline at the level of the sideburn, then continue down around the ear, and finish in the posterior hair. Fat may be sculpted or redistributed from the neck and jowls. The tissue under the neck skin will be repositioned, and often the platysma muscle will also be tightened. Excess skin will be trimmed away before it is redraped over the newly created contours. It is often necessary for there to be a separate incision made under the chin to perform liposuction, and repair the muscle.
A limited neck lift will be performed using an incision around the ear only. The results of this tend to be limited when compared to a traditional neck lift.
Skin adhesives or sutures will be used to close the incisions following the completion of the surgery. Depending on the circumstances dissolving sutures may be used, but it may also be necessary for them to be removed a few days after your procedure.
When your surgery is completed a bandage may be applied gently around your face to help minimise swelling and bruising. It may also necessary for a thin tube to be inserted to help aid with draining any excess fluid or blood.
Recovery after Neck Surgery
We will provide you with specific and personalised instructions on caring for the surgical site and drains, as well as any medications you will need to either take orally or apply to help aid the healing process.
It is of utmost importance that you keep your head elevated above your heart to help minimise the swelling. You should also try to keep the head as straight as possible as excessive twisting or bending of the neck can have a negative impact on your results.
Under NO circumstances should you apply ice to the neck during the healing period; this can compromise the flow of blood to the area and result in the death of the skin.
It is normal to experience swelling and bruising for about two weeks after your surgery. Once this swelling stars to subside, the full results of your neck lift will start to emerge.
It should be noted that it may take a few months for the swelling to fully dissipate and for the incision lines to mature.
Most people find the incision lines from their neck lift surgery are well concealed by their natural contours and the hairline.
While this surgery normally garners good results, in some circumstances it may not be possible to achieve an optimal result in just one surgery; a second surgery may be required.
To ensure your new youthful appearance lasts, we recommend maintaining a healthy lifestyle and use sun protection daily.
Dr Carmen Munteanu’s extensive experience allows her to achieve a natural-looking result, giving you a more youthful jawline and a smoother neck.
How much is a Neck Lift – Surgery Costs & fees
At your initial consultation, you will be given a detailed quote for your chosen procedure. This will include a Surgeon’s fee, Anaesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee and the hospital fees.
Dr Carmen’s team will provide you with a customised fee for your surgery depending on the type of procedure, hospital and how long you want to stay in hospital. An approximate fee range for your arm lift surgery can be provided over the phone when you speak to a Patient Care Advisor. We also provide information on different methods of payment.
Find out more about Neck lift Prices and Consultation Fees
Planning your Surgery and consultation
During your pre-operative consultation, Dr Carmen will discuss your desired outcomes and conduct an examination before providing options and recommendations.
In preparation for your surgery, you may be asked to undergo some testing, take certain medications and stop smoking. You may also be advised to avoid taking Asprin, anti-inflammatories and certain herbal supplements which can increase bleeding. You will also be advised of special instructions for the night before and morning of your surgery, as well as anaesthetic required during your surgery and post-operative care and follow-up.
For more information about your patient journey and your first consultation about (proc) visit the page
Further Reading – medical references
ASPS USA – (Neck Lift Surgery)
Risks and Complications of Necklift Surgery
Every surgery has some risks and possible complications.
Dr Carmen will cover the potential risks and complications during your consultation as part of your informed consent. She will also explain the measures she will take in order to reduce your risks as much as possible.
Possible complications of surgery include the following:
- Complications related to general anaesthetic or side effects of drugs used in hospital
- Bleeding – reduced by preoperative testing of possible blood anomalies, accurate technique, use of drains, particular dressings, compressive garments
- Infection – prevented/reduced by judicious use of antibiotics, good surgical technique, modern sealing dressings, appropriate care, advice
- Abnormal or asymmetrical scarring– Many scars can be improved if approached in the right time frame in the right way.
- Fluid build-up or seroma
- Other risks include – Numbness and Pain, Wound breakdown and delayed healing, unsightly or keloid Scarring,
- Serious complications such as possible Heart attack, Deep Vein Thrombosis, Pulmonary Embolism
For more information about risks of surgery and possible complications
Things you can do to minimise your risks and complications of surgery
- Read all your surgical documents and follow instructions of your surgeon precisely – rest & Allow time to heal, wear your compression garments as instructed, avoid removing your own bandages or touching at the incision site until it has healed properly.
- Do NOT Smoke at all during the surgical journey – especially critical in the periods before and after surgery
- Be accurate and upfront about ALL your medications, supplements and vitamins that you are currently taking – Tell both Dr Carmen and your anaesthetist
- When providing your medical history give specific details about ANY past difficulties you have had with surgery, anaesthesia, hospital visits or healing
- Thorough pre-washing of your own body prior to surgery can reduce skin bacteria and risk of infection.
- Successful surgical outcomes are the result of a number of considerations – realistic surgical goals, realistic patient expectations, and a good knowledge and understanding of possible risks and complications.
About Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen has 25 years of expertise in breast & tummy surgery as well as excess skin removal for weight-loss patients. Her favourite surgery is Breast Reduction. She also has significant experience in using fat transfer & fat grafting processes to the breast for augmentation and enhancement.
Dr Carmen is a FRACS Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon – she is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
She is a precise surgeon and customises her surgery procedures and placement of surgical incision lines for each patient to get the best outcomes.
Caring and engaging, Dr Carmen is highly regarded by her peers and patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about consultation pricing, payment plans and paying for surgery here
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Email us for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org