Dr Carmen answers Questions About Extended Tummy Tuck FAQs – Extended Abdominoplasty FAQs
An extended Tummy Tuck can help remove excess skin from the front and sides of your abdomen. This may have been caused by significant weight loss or post pregnancy. Dr Carmen Munteanu is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Melbourne and Body Contouring Expert.
Download Dr Carmen’s Guide to Tummy Tuck Surgery – Abdominoplasty
Tummy Tuck FAQs
Do I need a full or extended tummy tuck?
- A tummy tuck is ideal for you if you want to get rid of excess skin on your abdominal area and wish to achieve a flat stomach. Extended tummy tuck extends beyond the tummy area and targets flanks, hips and lower back as well. Based on your needs, you can opt for a full or extended tummy tuck.
How do I decide between having a standard tummy tuck or an extended tummy tuck?
- If you have excess skin and fat on the front part of your belly, a standard tummy tuck is a right way to go. On the other hand, if you have excess skin/fat around your waist, abdominal area, and flanks, an extended tummy tuck is the right option.
Does an extended tummy tuck lift your thighs?
- Yes, an extended tummy tuck lifts up your thighs and buttocks as the incision is extended to the flanks.
Does an extended tummy tuck lift your pubic area?
- An extended tummy tuck is designed to remove excess fat and tighten skin on the abdominal area. It also improves the appearance of your pubic region. However, if your pubic is beyond minimally saggy, an extended tummy tuck won’t be of much help.
What is the best age for an extended tummy tuck?
- Generally, a tummy tuck is performed on people 18 to 68 years of age (and in some cases older). It is important that the patient is in generally good health condition.
Is there an alternative to an extended tummy tuck?
- If you have loads of excess skin and fat around your abdominal area, getting an extended tummy tuck is the way to go. There are non-surgical alternatives such as radiofrequency assisted liposuction, but they won’t create as much of a dramatic impact. Such options are suitable for those who have a little bit of excess skin and fat.
What is the difference between an abdominoplasty and an extended tummy tuck?
- Abdominoplasty mainly focuses on removing excess skin and fat in your upper and lower abdominal area. An extended tummy tuck extends to your abdomen, fat and hip area. The incisions of the extended tummy tuck extend to the hip and back.
Will an extended tummy tuck get rid of FUPA?
- Yes, a tummy tuck will definitely get rid of FUPA.
Surgery for Extended Tummy Tuck FAQs
How long does extended tummy tuck surgery last?
- The extended tummy tuck surgery lasts anywhere between 3 to 5 hours.
How long does an extended tummy tuck take?
- Extended tummy tuck surgery usually takes 3 to 5 hours.
Will my upper thigh skin and back skin get tightened during an extended tummy tuck?
- Yes, your upper thigh and back skin will be tightened during the extended tummy tuck surgery.
Will smoking cause problems with my extended tummy tuck surgery?
- Smoking interferes with the blood flow, which can be problematic for any major surgery. Hence, it is advised to quit smoking for at least six weeks before and after the surgery.
How much skin is removed in an extended tummy tuck?
- There is no limit to how much skin is removed during the tummy tuck. It completely depends on your unique case.
When can you stop wearing a compression garment after an extended tummy tuck?
- You need to wear compression garments for at least six to eight weeks after the surgery.
What is the maximum BMI for an extended tummy tuck?
- Most surgeons do not perform extended tummy tuck on patients who have a BMI of 40 or above.
Will an extended tummy tuck make my stomach flat?
- Yes, an extended tummy tuck will give you a flat stomach.
Extended Tummy Tuck Recovery FAQs
What can I expect after an extended tummy tuck?
- You will experience swelling and bruising for the first few months after the surgery. Some people also experience a pulling and tugging sensation in the abdominal region for months after the surgery.
What is the recovery time for someone who has had an extended abdominoplasty?
- The length of recovery period depends on a number of factors. You can return to work between four to six weeks after the surgery. However, complete recovery usually takes eight weeks.
Will there be a lot of swelling following my surgery?
- Swelling is common after any surgery. The amount of swelling is based on your individual immune system and healing process.
How long are you swollen after an extended tummy tuck?
- You will most likely experience swelling for up to three months after the surgery.
When can I bend over after tummy tuck?
- You should be able to bend in a matter of 7 to 14 days after the surgery.
How long is blood clot risk after an extended tummy tuck?
- A blood clot is a risk for 2 to 10 days after the extended tummy tuck surgery.
How can I reduce the risk of blood clots following extended abdominal surgery?
- Here are the tips that will help you minimize the risk of blood clots:
- Do not smoke for four weeks before and after the surgery.
- Avoid using contraceptives and hormonal pills for a few weeks before and after the surgery.
- Go for light walks after the surgery.
- Wear your compression garments for at least eight weeks after the surgery.
- Use sequential compression devices with your surgeon’s approval.
How tight should a compression garment be after an extended tummy tuck?
- The compression garment helps to re-drape the tissue after an extended tummy tuck. The compression garments need to be snug but not tight to the point that they cause discomfort.
Can I lay on my side after an extended tummy tuck?
- No, you should sleep on your back after the extended tummy tuck surgery.
Can you climb stairs after extended tummy tuck surgery?
- Avoid climbing stairs for at least a week after the surgery. After that, you can resume light activities. However, do not do anything that hurts.
How can I tone my stomach after an extended tummy tuck?
- First things first, allow your body to heal completely. Do not work out during the healing phase. Once your surgeon gives you a go, you can establish an exercise routine and incorporate ab toning exercises.
How long after an extended tummy tuck can I wear jeans?
- You can wear jeans six weeks after the surgery.
How long does it take for the lymphatic system to heal after an extended tummy tuck?
- It takes about two to three months for the lymphatic system to heal after an extended tummy tuck surgery.
Longer Term Effects of Extended Tummy Tuck
Will my extended tummy tuck scar be noticeable?
- Yes, your extended tummy tuck surgery scar will be noticeable after the surgery. However, with proper care and time, the scars will fade away. You can discuss your scar removal treatment options with your surgeon.
Do you eat less after an extended tummy tuck?
- Yes, it is fairly common for people to have a small appetite for three to six months after the surgery.
Can your stomach get big after an extended tummy tuck?
- Yes. If you gain weight, your stomach can become bigger even after an extended tummy tuck surgery.
How do I get my stomach flat after an extended tummy tuck?
- An extended tummy tuck surgery will give you a flat stomach. To achieve a toned and tight look, you can start ab exercises once you are fully healed.
Will an extended tummy tuck change my posture?
- Yes, after a tummy tuck, you might enjoy an improved posture due to the tightened muscles.
Can you get an extended tummy tuck twice?
- It is possible to get a second extended tummy tuck procedure, provided that there is some excess skin left.
Extended Tummy Tuck Funding FAQs
Will Medicare pay for an extended tummy tuck?
- Medicare might pay for an extended tummy tuck if it is deemed as a medical necessity by your doctor and is required after a massive weight loss.
Does my private health insurance help cover an extended tummy tuck?
- Your insurance might cover an extended tummy tuck surgery if it is deemed as a medical necessity, you have a medicare item number and the right amount of cover.
How much is an extended tummy tuck?
- On average, the cost of an extended tummy tuck can vary from $8,000 to $15,000.
Is the extended tummy tuck worth it?
- An extended tummy tuck can give you immense confidence by getting rid of all the excess skin and fat that makes you insecure. Moreover, it takes care of all the medical issues you might be experiencing due to sagging, loose skin. So, it is definitely worth it.
Extended Tummy Tuck Concerns FAQs
How painful is an extended tummy tuck?
- The surgery is performed under general anaesthesia, so you won’t feel a thing during the procedure. After the surgery, you will experience some pain and discomfort during the recovery phase, which can be countered through pain killers that will be prescribed by your surgeon.
What percentage of tummy tucks have complications?
- Major complications occur in about 4 per cent of patients getting a tummy tuck surgery. It is important to choose the right surgeon and follow all the pre and post-treatment care instructions religiously.
Which is more dangerous, lipo or extended tummy tuck?
- Liposuction is a low-risk procedure, while an extended tummy tuck is a major surgery that comes with a certain degree of risks and possible complications.
What are the cons of an extended tummy tuck?
- Following are some of the cons of an extended tummy tuck:
- Scarring from the surgery
- Pregnancy can alter the results of the surgery
- Improper care can lead to infections
- Blood clotting is always a risk with any surgery
Which is more painful C section or extended tummy tuck?
- You will be under general anaesthesia during both procedures. However, the C section is considered to be a more painful procedure.
What happens if you don’t wear a compression garment after a tummy tuck?
- If you don’t wear a compression garment after the surgery, it can lead to over-stressed sutures, swelling, and seroma formation.
Extended Tummy Tuck General Questions FAQs
Is an extended tummy tuck safe?
- Yes, it is a completely safe procedure, given that you choose the right surgeon.
Do dog ears go away after an extended tummy tuck?
- Yes, they generally subside within three to six months of the extended tummy tuck surgery.
Does the fat come back after an extended tummy tuck?
- An extended tummy tuck is a procedure designed to remove excess hanging skin, not fat. Hence, fat can come back if you gain weight.
Can you still have a baby after getting an extended tummy tuck?
- Yes, you can.
What happens if you gain weight after an extended tummy tuck?
- Well, you will gain weight in your abdominal area as well. An extended tummy tuck does not guarantee a flat stomach for life.
What causes necrosis after an extended tummy tuck?
- Necrosis is mainly caused due to flap ischemia.
Can you get pregnant after an extended tummy tuck?
- Yes, you can get pregnant after an extended tummy tuck surgery.
Can I have a baby after an extended tummy tuck?
- Yes, you can. An extended tummy tuck is a cosmetic procedure that will not impact your pregnancy in any way.
Can you have two extended tummy tucks?
- You can get the second extended tummy tuck if you have excess skin. If this not the case, a second extended tummy tuck is not an option.
Can you have an extended tummy tuck before getting pregnant?
- It is generally not recommended, but you absolutely can get it done.
How to prevent seroma after an extended tummy tuck?
- Your surgeon will use drainage tubes. It is done to prevent seroma. This prevents any fluid build-up, which leads to a seroma.
How to reduce scar tissue after an extended tummy tuck?
- Follow all the post-care instructions religiously.
- Avoid using any products or clothing that can lead to irritation.
- Wear sunscreen and prevent direct sun exposure.
- Do not skip on topical treatments recommended by your surgeon.
- Keep your skin moisturized at all times.
Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen Munteanu MD. FRACS (Plas) is a very skilled and compassionate Specialist Plastic Surgeon based in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
She is one of Melbourne’s most experienced and sought-after female Plastic Surgeons specialising in aesthetic breast surgery and body contouring. That includes Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Breast Implant Surgery and Body Surgery.
With over 25 years of surgical experience in Plastic Surgery, Dr Carmen firmly believes that a good surgeon is first a good doctor. She will always take into consideration all the health aspects and personal circumstances of each patient.
A dedicated Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr Carmen is renowned for providing exceptional care, support and helping achieve realistic goals for her patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Carmen
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu by paying the $275 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Email us for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org