Thigh Lift Surgery can help reduce excess loose and saggy skin reduction after massive Weight loss. Dr Carmen Munteanu is a Melbourne Specialist Plastic Surgeon and Thigh Reduction expert. Here she answers her patient’s common Thigh lift FAQs about thigh reduction surgery.
Thigh Lift FAQs about Suitability & Results of Thigh Reduction
What Type Of Thigh Lifts Are There?
- The different types of thigh lifts can include:
- Medial Thigh Lift
- Upper Inner Thigh Lift
- Mini Thigh Lift
- Vertical Thigh Lift
- Posterior Thigh Lift
- Spiral Thigh Lift
Can you tighten loose skin on your inner thighs?
- Yes, with the help of thigh lift, you can help reduce and tighten loose and saggy excess skin on the inner thighs.
How do I get rid of loose skin on my thighs?
- A thigh lift will get rid of all the loose skin on your thighs and make them appear more tight and toned.
How much excess skin can a thigh lift remove?
- The amount of excess skin removed varies from person to person. The goal is to achieve a contoured and toned looking thigh. The trade-off for skin removal is the thigh lift scar which can be semi-hidden inside the thighs and will fade over time.
Do I need a thigh lift or liposuction?
- Thigh lift surgery is recommended for people with sagging skin. Sometimes, liposuction is a part of the thigh lift procedure. Liposuction is recommended for people who have been looking to lose stubborn fat in targeted area but does not have a lot of sagging skin. Liposuction can also make the saggy skin worse for post weightloss patients.
Does liposuction work on inner thighs?
- Yes, liposuction can be performed on both outer and inner thighs. It does not remove loose skin.
How do I know if I need a thigh lift or thigh liposuction, or both?
- Liposuction is recommended for people with excess fat and minimal laxity of skin, while thigh lift is recommended for people who have excess loose skin. In some cases, both procedures are combined to achieve optimal results.
Will a thigh lift get rid of cellulite?
- A thigh lift involves the removal of excess skin and tissue from the thigh area. It temporarily gets rid of cellulite, but cellulite can reappear after some time.
How do I get rid of cellulite and flabby thighs?
- You can start off with a healthy diet and exercise. If you have tried everything and still cannot seem to achieve toned thighs, a thigh lift is an option.
Can you have a tummy tuck and thigh lift at the same time?
- Yes, you can get a tummy tuck and a thigh lift at the same time. Schedule a consultation with Dr Carmen to plan the lower body lift process.
Why Should I Choose Thigh Lift Surgery?
- If you have loose, sagging skin on the thighs, the only way to get rid of it permanently is by opting for thigh lift surgery.
Do thigh lifts work?
- Yes, thigh lifts are very effective for patients dealing with excess skin after massive weight loss. Exercise simply cannot get rid of large amounts of excess loose skin for post-bariatric patients, a thigh lift is typically required.
Am I the right candidate for thigh lift surgery?
- To determine whether you are the right candidate for thigh lift surgery or not, book a consultation with Dr Carmen today. Simply call or email or fill out the consultation form, and our team will contact you to book a consultation.
Thigh Lift FAQs about Preparing for Thigh Lift Surgery
How do you prepare for a thigh lift?
- Here is how you should prepare for a thigh lift surgery:
- Quit smoking and drinking for a few weeks prior to the surgery/
- Get all the required medical tests done, which are required for medical evaluation.
- Avoid taking blood-thinning medications and supplements as it can lead to bruising post-surgery.
- Eat healthily and drink loads of water to prepare yourself for the surgery.
- Shower the day before Surgery and wash
- Take leave from work to rest after the surgery.
What should I pack in my hospital bag for thigh lift surgery?
- Here are a few of the important items that should go into your hospital bag:
- Compression garment (usually supplied by surgeon)
- Change of comfortable clothing that is easy to take on and off
- A water bottle and a few snacks
- Skin Moisturizer
- Any medical lab reports your surgeon requires
- Device Chargers
- Hand towel
See our blog about packing for hospital
Thigh Lift FAQs about Thigh Surgery
Where are the incisions for a thigh lift?
- Depending on the amount of excess skin, the incision runs down in a straight line along the inside thighs. Sometimes a further incision is required. Dr Carmen will explain the incision location during the consult. The incisions usually need to be made where the excess skin is located.
What is a spiral thigh lift?
- Spiral lift is done to remove excess skin and fat from thighs, hips, buttocks, and trunk.
What is a mini thigh lift?
- A mini thigh lift is much gentler than other forms of thigh lift. It only involves a tiny incision near the top of the legs.
What is an inner thigh lift?
- An inner thigh lift, also known as medial thigh lift, tightens the skin on the upper part of the inner thigh.
Thigh Lift Recovery FAQs
How long does it take to recover from a thigh lift?
- It will take about four to six weeks to recover completely after a thigh lift surgery.
How long do you wear compression garment after a thigh lift?
- Wear a compression garment for at least three to four weeks after the thigh lift surgery. The longer the better.
Can you walk after a thigh lift?
- Yes, you can. Bed rest is recommended for the first few days after the surgery. However, a light walk is encouraged as it helps speed up the recovery process and may prevent blood clots.
How do you sleep after a thigh lift?
- Do not sleep on your stomach until the swelling subsides. Sleep on your back with a few pillows propped up under your knees and head.
How long does swelling last after a thigh lift?
- Swelling can last anywhere between one to six months.
What should I wear after a thigh lift?
- Wear a compression garment for four to six weeks after the treatment. On top of that, wear loose, comfortable clothing that is easy to take on and off.
What happens if you don’t wear a compression garment after a thigh lift?
- You need to wear a compression garment. It is an absolute necessity. If you don’t wear it, it can lead to excessive swelling.
How long after thigh lift can I exercise?
- You can exercise after about four to six weeks after the surgery. Make sure to ask Dr Carmen prior to working out.
Can I travel soon After Thigh Lift Surgery?
- Wait for at least two weeks before traveling. Always check in with your surgeon before making any travel arrangements.
What can I Expect To Feel After A Thigh Lift?
- You will experience slight pain and swelling accompanied by a bit of numbness after the surgery. Don’t worry, as your surgeon will give you painkillers to combat pain which makes the recovery process comfortable.
Is A Thigh Lift Painful?
- The surgery is performed under general anaesthesia, so you won’t feel any pain during the procedure. It is normal to feel some discomfort after the surgery, but it can be easily be dealt with pain killers.
What Are The Scars Like after Thigh Lift?
- You may have a scar in the groin area as well as a vertical scar along the inside of your thigh, depending on the type of thigh lift you have. Thigh lift scars will lighten over time significantly. You can also discuss your scar minimisation options with your surgeon to further improve the result.
When can I eat after the thigh lift surgery?
- We recommend sticking to liquids for the first few hours post-surgery. Slowly ease into small meals after 24 hours. Do not eat highly processed, hard-to-digest foods for the first week as you will be mostly resting.
Can I drive home myself after the surgery?
- No, you will not be able to drive yourself home after the surgery. Arrange for someone to drive you home in advance.
What Could Go Wrong with a Thigh Lift?
- The thigh lift is a surgical procedure. All Surgery has risks. With any kind of surgery, there is always a risk of bleeding, infections, and poor recovery. However, if you choose the right surgeon and adhere to all the pre and post-surgery instructions, you will have an optimal result
When can I start driving after thigh lift?
- It is advised to wait for five to seven days before driving after the surgery. Under no circumstances drive in the first few days after surgery.
Will there be bandages and dressing on my thighs?
- Your surgeon might place light bandages on your thighs along with some surgical glue and a number of stitches.
When can I shower after the thigh lift surgery?
- You can shower 24 hours after the surgery. Wash your thighs gently, and do not use excessively warm water. Also, avoid taking baths, diving in pools, or hot tubs.
When will my stitches come out?
- Surgeons use absorbable stitches which dissolve on their own. So, you won’t need to come into the surgeon’s office to get your stitches out.
When can I drink alcohol after the surgery?
- It is advised to avoid drinking alcohol for at least two weeks post-surgery. The alcohol can interact with certain medications (you will be taking after the surgery) and lead to complications.
When can I resume working after thigh lift surgery?
- It is advised to take 2 to 3 weeks off from work to ensure proper recovery and healing. Make sure to check in with your surgeon before resuming work if your job involves highly strenuous activities.
When can I get a massage after the surgery?
- Massaging is a great way to relax, but do not go for massages till your body heals completely and there are no signs of bruising. Opting for a massage when there is bruising on your body can lead to permanent staining of the skin.
Can I use a heating pad post-surgery?
- No, you shouldn’t be using a heating pad on your thighs for a period of six months post-surgery as it can lead to burns and scarring.
Can I suntan after the surgery?
- Tanning surely gives you a short-lived glow, but it isn’t that great for the long-term health of your skin. Sun tanning immediately after the surgery can lead to discolouration, darkening of scars and growths. Avoid tanning for a minimum of six to eight weeks. When you go out in the sun, do not forget to wear an SPF.
When will my thighs start to feel normal?
- Most of the swelling and numbness will subside significantly by weeks six and eight, and your thighs will start to feel fairly normal again.
When can I see the final results of the thigh lift surgery?
- You will see complete results of the surgery in about six months after the surgery. In some months, the swelling goes away, the scars lighten significantly, and you are able to see your toned legs.
When can I start smoking after the surgery?
- Avoid smoking for a period of four to eight weeks or as per your surgeon’s instructions as it can significantly hinder the healing process.
Thigh Lift Longer Term FAQs
How can I expect my thighs to look over time?
- For the first few days, your thighs will be swollen. Over time, the swelling will subside, and your thighs will appear toned and tight.
How do I minimize scars after the thigh lift surgery?
- Avoid picking on your scars, do not go out in the sun without wearing an SPF, and use medical-grade silicone gels once you are fully healed to minimize the appearance of scars.
Thigh Lift FAQs about Risks and Concerns
Is a thigh lift dangerous?
- Thigh lift surgery is a fairly safe procedure, provided that you choose the right surgeon and adhere to all the pre and post-surgery instructions.
What can cause excessive bruising after a thigh lift?
- Drinking alcohol and consuming blood-thinning medications can lead to excessive bruising after thigh lift surgery.
Does the fat come back after a thigh lift surgery?
- If you gain excessive weight, it will be distributed all over your body, including thighs. So, yes, you can gain weight after the thigh lift surgery.
Thigh Lift FAQs about Funding your Surgery
Will insurance cover a thigh lift surgery?
- Medicare and health insurance does not typically pay for cosmetic procedures unless they are deemed as a medical necessity by your doctor. There is a medicare code for Thigh Lift post massive weight loss but you must meet the strict medicare criteria.
How much is a Thigh LIft?
A Thigh lift Surgery varies depending on the amount of excess skin and complexity of your case. Please contact the clinic for an estimate of the thigh lift price which should include surgeon fee, anaesthetist fee, assistant fee and hospital fees. Find out more about Thigh LIft payment plans and medical finance.
Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen Munteanu MD. FRACS (Plas) is a very skilled and compassionate Specialist Plastic Surgeon based in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
She is one of Melbourne’s most experienced and sought-after female Plastic Surgeons specialising in aesthetic breast surgery and body contouring. That includes Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Breast Implant Surgery and Body Surgery.
With over 25 years of surgical experience in Plastic Surgery, Dr Carmen firmly believes that a good surgeon is first a good doctor. She will always take into consideration all the health aspects and personal circumstances of each patient.
A dedicated Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr Carmen is renowned for providing exceptional care, support and helping achieve realistic goals for her patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Carmen
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu by paying the $275 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Email us for more information: email@example.com