Do you have Sagging Thighs? Excess Skin that hangs loosely. Learn more about the safety and efficacy of thigh lift surgery in treating unwanted fat and excess skin on the region of your thighs.
What are the Causes of Sagging Thighs?
Several factors can contribute to the development of sagging thighs, including:
- Weight fluctuations: Being overweight or obese damages your collagen and elastin fibers. After a significant weight loss, you may notice that your skin loses its ability to snap back to its original position, resulting in loose skin.
- Ageing: The age-related collagen loss causes your skin to become less elastic, which makes sagging more noticeable.
- Pregnancy: Weight gain during pregnancy stretches your skin. As a result, your skin may sag or become loose after you gave birth.
- Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS): This is rare, inherited connective tissue disorder that is characterized by impaired collagen production, resulting in sagging skin.
Can a Thigh Lift help Sagging Thighs?
Are you unhappy with the appearance of your thighs?
Do you have stubborn fat in your thigh region that doesn’t respond to regular diet and exercise?
Are you suffering from skin irritation, pain, or chaffing due to excessive friction and moisture in your thighs?
If you’re experiencing these conditions, you may benefit from a procedure called a thigh lift. This surgical procedure removes excess skin and fat in your thighs, resulting in smoother, firmer, and younger-looking skin. You might benefit from an inner thigh lift, a medial thigh lift or an outer thigh lift.
Are you a Candidate for Surgery for Sagging Thighs?
In general, you are a good candidate for the procedure if:
- You are bothered by the excess skin and fat on the inner, outer, or medial region of your thighs.
- You are mentally stable.
- You are willing to adhere to your surgeon’s instructions after the procedure.
- You are willing to live a healthy lifestyle after the procedure.
- You don’t have a history of clotting or bleeding disorders.
- You don’t smoke.
- You have a stable weight.
- You have realistic expectations regarding the procedure.
- You want firmer, younger-looking thighs.
- You want to stay free from skin irritations caused by sagging skin on your thighs.
What are the Benefits of Thigh Surgery for Sagging Thighs?
The procedure can offer the following benefits:
- Better body proportion
- Increased self-confidence and self-esteem
- More clothing options
- Well-toned appearance of your thighs
- Reduced risk of skin irritation in your thigh region
Does a Thigh Lift Correct Sagging Skin after Massive Weight Loss?
Several lines of evidence support the safety and beneficial results of a thigh lift in improving the contour of your thighs.
In a 2019 study, researchers reported that medial thigh lift safely provided aesthetic improvement in patients with massive weight loss. 
In another study, researchers found a significant improvement in the appearance of the thighs of women who had a medial thigh lift. The procedure was also free of major complications. 
Finally, a 2020 study showed that thigh lift improved thigh appearance as well as the psychological and social aspects of life in patients who had massive weight loss. 
Are you planning to get rid of the sagging skin in your thighs? Do you want your thighs to achieve smoother, younger-looking skin with natural results? Schedule a consultation with one of our highly experienced surgeons now to know your treatment options.
What happens during a Thigh Lift?
Intravenous sedation and general anesthesia are administered during the procedure to prevent any discomfort. Depending on your condition and desired cosmetic results, your surgeon will perform the following incision techniques in your thighs:
- Inner thigh lift incision: Your surgeon creates an incision starting from your groin and around the back of your thigh.
- Medial thigh lift incision: Also known as inner thigh lift incision, the incision is made in the area between your thighs and pubic region.
- Outer thigh lift incision: Your surgeon makes an incision starting from your groin going to the area around your hip and across your back.
Once the incisions are created, your surgeon will remove excess fat and skin from your thighs to reshape the area. Your surgeon will then close the incisions using sutures or adhesive tapes.
What to Expect during your Recovery Period
After your thigh lift surgery, your surgical incisions may feel sore and painful. You may need to take pain relievers and anti-inflammatories regularly to reduce discomfort. If your condition is stable, your surgeon will allow you to go home and will provide you with prescriptions, wound care instructions, and a schedule of your follow-up.
Your recovery time will depend on the extent of your surgery. It is recommended to rest as much as possible and avoid any unnecessary movements to prevent tension on your incision lines. After 1 month, bruising and swelling of your incision sites are usually gone. In 4 to 6 months, you can engage in strenuous activities and you can resume your daily routine.
What are the Risks and Complications of a Thigh Lift?
The thigh lift procedure also comes with risks and complications, such as:
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia
- Changes in skin sensation
- Delayed wound healing
- Difficulty moving one or both legs
- Fluid accumulation
- Increasing pain at the surgical site
- Nerve damage
- Poor cosmetic results
- Possible need for revisional surgery
- Pus draining at the wound site
- Recurrent looseness of skin on your thighs
- Separation or reopening of the wound
- Skin discoloration
- Skin irritation caused by sutures that spontaneously surface through your skin
- Unsightly scarring
- Di Pietro V, Gianfranco MC, Cervelli V, Gentile P. Medial Thigh Contouring in Massive Weight Loss: A Liposuction-Assisted Medial Thigh Lift. World J Plast Surg. 2019;8(2):171-180. doi:10.29252/wjps.8.2.171.
- Labardi L, Gentile P, Gigliotti S, Marianetti M, Colicchia GM, Pascali M, Brinci L, Cervelli V. Medial thighplasty: horizontal and vertical procedures after massive weight loss. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2012 Jan;5(1):20-5. doi: 10.4103/0974-2077.94330. PMID: 22557851; PMCID: PMC3339123. Retrieved from PubMed.
- Paul MA, Opyrchał J, Knakiewicz M, Jaremków P, Duda-Barcik Ł, Ibrahim AMS, Lin SJ. The long-term effect of body contouring procedures on the quality of life in morbidly obese patients after bariatric surgery. PLoS One. 2020 Feb 21;15(2):e0229138. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0229138. PMID: 32084189; PMCID: PMC7034793. Retrieved from PubMed.
Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen Munteanu MD. FRACS (Plas) is a very skilled and compassionate Specialist Plastic Surgeon based in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
She is one of Melbourne’s most experienced and sought-after female Plastic Surgeons specialising in aesthetic breast surgery and body contouring. That includes Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Breast Implant Surgery and Body Surgery.
With over 25 years of surgical experience in Plastic Surgery, Dr Carmen firmly believes that a good surgeon is first a good doctor. She will always take into consideration all the health aspects and personal circumstances of each patient.
A dedicated Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr Carmen is renowned for providing exceptional care, support and helping achieve realistic goals for her patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Carmen
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu by paying the $275 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Email us for more information: email@example.com