Medical Benefits of Body Lift surgery – Reasons to have a skin removal surgery
How can Body Lift Surgery help with excess loose skin?
Massive weight loss can, sometimes, result in excessive tissue that creates areas of saggy skin around hips, buttocks, abdomen, things and waist. The reason for this is that the skin & cutaneous tissue fails to contract after massive weight loss. This results in loose, hanging excess skin. Although diet & exercise or obesity surgery to lose weight can help you get in shape, these things don’t help in getting rid of the sagging skin folds you develop after weight loss.
This is where Body Lifting and Body Contouring Surgery can really help. There are many benefits of Body Lift surgery. A Body Lift can improve and sculpt many areas like the abdomen, arms, breasts, thighs, and buttocks. It can also help in improving the quality of life in people who suffer from functional and psychosocial issues following weight loss.
What does the medical research say about Benefits of Body Lift?
For the last decade, people were unaware of the benefits of Body Lift. This was until the medical community started publishing many research papers.
Recently, there has been a debate about whether Body Lift can contribute to more than purely cosmetic outcomes. Recent studies revealed that Body Lift can lead to an improvement in weight loss, self-esteem, sexual function, and body image.
These studies included thousands of patients who went through the procedure and now are being studied by researchers to see if Body Lift Benefits are real or not. All of these papers are published in many peer-reviewed journals and are now considered to be facts.
In 2018, the journal of Obesity Surgery, a peer-reviewed journal, published a research paper that included 13 previous clinical trials on patients after Body Lift Surgery to come with one unified answer to the question: Do Body Lift Benefits exist or not?
9 Benefits of Body lift surgery after weight loss:
- Improvement in weight loss
Although people who undergo Body Lift are not looking for weight loss, 3 studies showed a change in BMI following Body Lift. Data suggested that there was a significant decrease in BMI of 2 points with no significant heterogeneity present between the results.
- Improvements in physical functioning and interest in exercising
Impaired physical functioning before the surgery can be due to multiple reasons. It can be due to the postural issues and the flapping noises made by the redundant skin. Also, people don’t feel confident to wear clothes, such as those with lower necklines, or more fitted clothing.
Seven studies with hundreds of participants reported on changes in the physical functioning after Body Lift, emphasizing Body Lift Benefits. The results suggested Body Lift can have a significant improvement in physical functioning by 28.5%. This is really a fantastic number. People following the surgery can enjoy the freedom of movement and the ability to return to their normal physical activities.
- Improvements in social relationships and interactions
Problems with social relationships happen to most people with sagging skin problems. This mainly happens because they don’t feel confident enough about their appearance. They just don’t like it. This can lead to many psychological issues and decreased self-esteem.
Eight studies showed improvements in social functioning after the procedure. By analyzing the participants, the studies revealed improvement in social functioning by 24% in most of them. Again, this is just a wonderful number that highlights Body Lift Benefits. After the surgery, participants can see themselves as being accepted and integrated into the society rather than downgraded.
- Improvements in the perception of your body image
Many post-bariatric patients describe their post-weight-loss body as “shocking” or “ugly.” This poor body image is mainly for 2 reasons:
• Patients put enormous effort to lose weight, but now they find out that they are not satisfied with their new body and sagging excess skin.
• Patients still get negative and hurtful comments from others.
Eight studies reported improvements in the perception of the body image following Body Lift. The data demonstrated an improvement in body image by 55%.
The positive psychological effects that come with Body Lift allow people for greater social engagement and acceptance. Body Lift Benefits can result in a significant, visible change in appearance. This can create improvement in well-being and happiness. In general, Body Lift can lead to a firmer body contour, toned physique, increased confidence, and youthful appearance.
- Better sexual experience and intimate relationships
It seems like there is an effect of the partner’s view that seemed to have a negative impact before surgery. Sexual satisfaction appears to increase in some people after the surgery. This is mainly because their bodies were available for viewing and linked to sexual pleasure. How their partner viewed them after the surgery had a good impact on their sexual experience. This all can enhance sexual satisfaction.
A Better view from yourself and your partner can result in sexual esteem and increased sexual functioning. This is demonstrated by five studies that showed an improvement in sexual functioning by 49.7%.
- Lower incidence of Depression
Many participants feel a new sense of their body, enabling a translation into self-confidence, self-esteem, increased energy levels, positive mode, and a sense of psychological well-being. The procedure may change the relationship between depressive symptoms and negative body image.
Researchers from this study stated “The evidence provided in this review strongly supports the long-term benefits of body contouring surgery for selected patients after massive weight loss”
- Improved Maintenance of Weight Loss
Additionally, another study was published in the Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery. This study was unique because it shed light on whether Body Lift can help maintain weight loss or not. The study showed that the procedure had a positive effect on weight loss maintenance after body contouring determined from the mean weight change in the participants.
- Improved Quality of Life
Moreover, another paper published in 2016 analyzed the quality of life among adults after the surgery. The study showed that there is an improvement in body image satisfaction, self-esteem and confidence, physical function/pain, and social function. The researchers emphasized this by saying “Body contouring surgery has been shown to have positive benefits, especially in relation to improved wellbeing, function, and Quality of Life”
- Reduced Psychosocial Discomfort (Feeling better about yourself)
Finally, a study published in 2011 by the French journal Annales de Chirurgie Plastique Esthétique also showed Body Lift Benefits. The study analyzed 134 patients with more than 30 kg of weight loss who had body-contouring surgery.
By analyzing the patients, the study found that patients had improvement in their psychosocial discomfort, a decrease of 56.7 % in the sense of feeling depressed, and an improvement in finding a job after body contouring surgery.
Recent research on Benefits of Body lift After Massive Weight Loss
A study was published in 2020 by the Journal of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery was trying to compare 2 groups of patients. The first group had weight loss but didn’t undergo Body Lift, and the second group had weight loss and underwent Body Lift. The results showed that the group who underwent Body Lift surgery had enhancement in their Body Mass Index (BMI) and total weight loss compared to the other group.
The benefits of a Body Lift have been studied for years by the best institutions in the world. The next step is to determine if you are the right candidate or not by weighing up the risks and benefits.
Is a body lift worth it?
There are many benefits of Body Lift Surgery and, sometimes, can be life-changing for a lot of people. The critical point here is determining whether you are the right candidate for this procedure or not.
For example, you should be aware that you will have scars in the treated areas that will be managed after the surgery. You should know all the risks like bleeding, infections, and scarring and discuss them with Dr Carmen to evaluate everything.
But if you are suffering from body-confidence issues because of these uncomfortable folds, unpleasant odour, or recurring skin infections due to moisture trapped in excess skin, then a Body Lift can be the right choice for you. A Body Lift can help you regain your confidence and help you have a firmer, lifted body. Read more Body Lift Surgery FAQs.
What to expect before and after a Body lift surgery
There are many factors that determine the approach taken by your surgeon. This depends on your preferences, the amount of correction needed, and the location of excess skin to be removed.
There are several different procedures that may be included in your Body Lift surgery. These include:
- Circumferential Abdominoplasty (Belt Lipectomy) or Fleur De Lis Surgery
- Liposuction for Lower Body Areas
- Breast lift or Breast reduction
- Thigh Lift Surgery
- Arm Lift Surgery
- Facelift Surgery and Neck Lift Surgery
Body lift Summary
Massive weight loss can lead to both psychological and physical impairments because of the development of ptotic skin and areas of redundant adipose tissue that can interfere with daily activity. Surgical intervention through Body Lift can be one route to achieve an enhanced lifestyle.
Body Lift should not be considered only as a cosmetic adjunct to weight loss; it has a role in reversing functional abnormalities that result from the accumulation of redundant skin following weight loss.
Until now, many research papers have been published and many of them showed how Body Lift Benefits can change life for many people.
A Body lift can result in significant improvement in many factors including:
- Aiding weight loss
- Enhanced Physical functioning
- Psychological wellbeing
- Improved social functioning
- Better Body Image
- Enhanced Sexual functioning
- Increase self-esteem
After considering the risks and complications that may develop and discussing them with your Plastic Surgeon, you can be able to understand if you are a good candidate for this procedure or not. This all depends on your current situation, goals you anticipate, and evaluating the risks and benefits.
But it can be life-changing!
Further Reading and Medical Resources
- Does Body Contouring After Bariatric Weight Loss Enhance Quality of Life? A Systematic Review of QOL Studies
- Changing Body Image and Well-Being: Following the Experience of Massive Weight Loss and Body Contouring Surgery
- Body contouring after obesity surgery is associated with a weight loss benefit among patient
- Quality Assessment of Online Information on Body Contouring Surgery in Postbariatric Patient
- [Study of the benefits after body contouring surgery at the university hospital in Lille]
- Quality of life among adults following bariatric and body contouring surgery: a systematic
- Body Contouring Surgery Improves Weight Loss after Bariatric Surgery: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen Munteanu MD. FRACS (Plas) is a very skilled and compassionate Specialist Plastic Surgeon based in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
She is one of Melbourne’s most experienced and sought-after female Plastic Surgeons specialising in aesthetic breast surgery and body contouring. That includes Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Breast Implant Surgery and Body Surgery.
With over 25 years of surgical experience in Plastic Surgery, Dr Carmen firmly believes that a good surgeon is first a good doctor. She will always take into consideration all the health aspects and personal circumstances of each patient.
A dedicated Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr Carmen is renowned for providing exceptional care, support and helping achieve realistic goals for her patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Carmen
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu by paying the $275 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Email us for more information: email@example.com