Dr Carmen’s Guide to Packing for Hospital Stay
What do I need to take for a Hospital stay for major cosmetic surgery?
The big day is fast approaching – very exciting times ahead! To ensure a comfortable hospital stay and a smooth recovery here are the BEST tips for packing for hospital.
The best thing you can do is be prepared. Below you will find a checklist of everything you will need to pack in your overnight bag to make your hospital stay as comfortable as possible.
MAKE SURE you read our page on the 10 MUST DO TIPS for preparing yourself for surgery in Hospital
Checklist for Packing for Hospital – an overnight or short hospital stay
Please bring as little as possible when coming to the hospital, but be sure to include the following items:
Bring The Essentials when Packing for Hospital
- Medicare card/insurance details and a small amount of cash for vending machines, coffee shop etc.
- Mobile phone.
- Phone charger plug and cable – longer cords are also very useful.
- Dark coloured, loose clothing that is easy to take on and off – (button-down short-sleeve shirt options are great), yoga pants and short or long sleeve t-shirts.
- A warm jacket or zip front hoodie.
- Pyjamas (3/4 or shorts and short sleeves are often a better choice), if surgery is to your legs – consider packing a nightie instead. Aim for roomy and comfortable rather than stylish.
- A light dressing gown may also be useful if your stay is greater than 24 hours.
- Slip on, flat shoes.
- Prescription medications boxed and in their original packaging.
- Pre-purchased surgical garment.
- Hairbrush and hairbands.
- Travel size toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, wet wipes, hand sanitiser, shampoo, conditioner, dry shampoo, deodorant, soap, razor, small scissors.
- Skincare essentials: face cleanser, moisturiser, lip balm, hand moisturiser.
- Slippers or socks (with gripper (non-slip) pads on the base).
- Glasses/contact lenses/hearing aids if you need them.
- Small reusable bag – very useful for keeping all your essential items together and on hand whilst you recover from surgery.
Bring Some Little Luxuries when Packing for Hospital
- Entertainment: Laptop, iPad, books, Kindle (with associated chargers and cables), magazines, books.
- Sleeping mask/ear plugs.
- Pre-packaged snacks – crackers, lollies, muesli bars.
- Small amount of light makeup.
- Tea/coffee/herbal tea sachets if you have a favourite type.
- Wide neck refillable sports style water bottle. Many units have ice machines which require a wider neck bottle to be used.
- If you prefer to drink hot rather than cold water bring a small flask that can be refilled.
- Sunglasses for the trip home if you are having any facial surgery.
- A neck-pillow – this is not often used as a neck pillow – In hospital it becomes a very useful small pillow to elevate arms or reduce pressure on other body areas.
- Your own standard pillow also include 2 non-white pillows slips (bold pillow slips avoid confusion with hospital issued pillows).
Choosing your Luggage size – Avoid bringing the BIG Case!
Space is fairly limited in hospital so aim to pack all your items into a small to medium sized wheeled case. Ensure all your luggage is labelled with your details and if possible, all items are contained within the one bag.
Further reading about tips for packing for Hospital stays
Any more questions about preparing or packing for Hospital?
If you have any further questions about what to pack in your hospital bag or preparing for your surgery just give our friendly team at Aesthetik Profile a call on (03) 98520545 we are more than happy to guide you through any concerns you have.
We pride ourselves on providing the support you need to guide you through the whole process to reach the very best outcomes.