Arm Lift Surgery FAQs & Arm Reduction Surgery Questions in Melbourne Victoria by Dr Carmen
An Arm Lift or Arm Reduction procedure, medically known as Brachioplasty, removes the excess sagging and loose skin of the upper arm. The procedure tightens and smooths the underlying tissue and fat in order to redefine the shape of your arm.
Dr Carmen Munteanu is a specialist plastic surgeon and armlift expert. She provides dedicated and compassionate care to her patients who wish to undergo this surgery and reshape their upper arms. Here are Dr Carmen Munteanu’s Arm Lift FAQs – answers to the most common questions about Upper Arm Reduction Surgery
Common Questions About Arm Fat, Flabby Arms & Arm Lift Surgery
Can you get rid of loose skin underarms?
- Yes, loose skin under the arms is very common, which can be easily treated with the help of arm lift surgery.
Are flabby arms normal?
- Yes, they are completely normal.
What causes fat upper arms?
- Weight gain, and some forms of genetic predisposition, can cause your upper arms to become fat.
Is there plastic surgery for flabby arms?
- Yes, an arm lift is the best way to get rid of flabby arms and achieve a more contoured look.
Why are my arms so flabby?
- There are many causes of flabby arms; genetics, weight gain, loose skin, excess body fat percentage. Regardless of the cause, they can be fixed with an arm lift surgery.
How do you fix batwing arms?
- An arm lift surgery or upper arm reduction surgery can help fix batwing arms.
How do they remove bat wings with surgery?
- A surgical arm lift will get rid of bat wings. The surgeon will make incisions, remove excess and fat to give your arms a more sculpted look.
What is a mini arm lift?
- A mini arm lift is performed to improve the look of your arms when you have minor amount of excess skin and fat.
How do you get rid of armpit fat?
- An arm lift surgery not only contours your arm but also targets armpit fat as well.
Will I need an arm lift after weight loss?
- It is frequently necessary that you do need arm lift surgery after weight loss. Typically people who lose a lot of weight will consider or need an arm lift as part of their post-weight loss body contouring procedures. If you lose a lot of weight over a short period of time, you might also experience loose skin around the arms and require an arm lift.
What celebrities have had an arm lift?
- Some magazines suggest that various celebrities, including Jennifer Aniston, Kelly Ripa, Demi Moore have undergone arm lift surgery. None of the celebrities has confirmed these rumours.
Best Questions About Preparing for Arm lift Surgery
What should I do before arm lift surgery?
- Here is how you should prepare for an arm lift surgery:
- Get your lab tests done required by your surgeon
- Avoid taking any blood-thinning medications
- Avoid smoking and drinking for at least two weeks prior to the procedure
- Eat healthily and maintain a generally good lifestyle
What to pack for arm lift surgery?
- Pack loose, comfortable clothing that is easy to take on and off, compression garments (as per your surgeon’s suggestion), a water bottle, some snacks, toiletries, and slippers.
How to prepare for arm lift surgery?
- Make sure that your health is optimum, avoid smoking, drinking, blood-thinning medications and get all the lab tests done required by your surgeon.
What is the maximum weight for an arm lift?
- It is best to be within 10 to 15 pounds of your weight range after the procedure. If you are overweight, you can always come in for a consultation to discuss your options.
Questions about Arm lift Surgery
Is an arm lift major surgery?
- Yes, an arm lift is major surgery and is typically performed under general anaesthesia.
Is getting an arm lift worth it?
If you are tired of sagging arms, then arm lift is an effective body contouring procedure.
What are the different types of arm lifts?
- An arm lift can be mainly categorized into the following categories:
- Traditional Arm Lift
- Extended Arm Lift
- Hidden Arm Lift
- Cool Sculpting
What is a full arm lift?
- During a full arm lift, excess skin and fat are removed from the underarms, armpit, and elbow. The skin is draped back into new contours to give you an improved look.
What is a mini arm lift?
- Mini arm lift re-sculpts the arm tissue and removes sagging loose skin. It is one of the most common procedures.
How long is an arm lift surgery?
- Arm Lift is a surgical procedure that can be performed within three to four hours after the surgery.
How many hours does an arm lift take?
- The arm lift procedure is completed within 3 to 4 hours.
How much skin can be removed in an arm lift?
- The amount of excess skin removed depends on each patient.
How much weight do you lose with an arm lift?
- Arm lift is not a weight loss procedure. Although you will not lose any significant weight after an arm lift surgery, given the fact that you have some weight removed, it is expected to have that weight stable 6 weeks after surgery, once the swelling and bruising get more stable. Typically, one loses 600-1800 g with this operation.
What kind of arm lift do I need?
- To determine which kind of arm lift will suit your needs the best, you need to book a consultation. Your surgeon will look into your case, aesthetic goals, and the amount of excess skin and fat on your arm and then suggest a suitable kind of arm lift procedure.
Arm Lift Recovery FAQs – Questions about Recovery after Arm Lift
How bad is the pain after an arm lift?
- You will be given a series of over-the-counter pain killers to combat pain after the surgery. You will feel mild discomfort for the first 1 or 2 weeks after the surgery. Swelling can be uncomfortable, but pain relief medication is rarely necessary or useful. Occasionally some patients can experience some ‘nerve pain’ and might need specific medication. This is usually transient and self-resolving.
Can you sleep on your side after an arm lift?
- No, you cannot sleep on your side or stomach for about three weeks after the surgery. Sleep on your back instead, with arms elevated on pillows.
How long after arm lift can you lift your arms?
- You can lift your arms four weeks after the surgery, along with resuming any active range of motion.
How long do arm lift scars take to fade?
- Most scars will fade away completely or lighten significantly in about six to nine months after the surgery. It might take much longer for some patients, 12-18 months.
How long do you wear a compression garment after an arm lift?
- It is advised to wear a compression garment for three to six weeks after the surgery.
How long does an arm lift take to heal?
- Everybody heals at a different pace. Most people heal completely in about three to four weeks after the surgery.
How long does numbness last after an arm lift?
- The numbness typically lasts for the first week after the surgery.
How long for the arm lift incision to heal?
- The incision will heal in about 2 to 3 weeks after the surgery.
How long off work for an arm lift?
- It is advised to take anywhere between 2 to 3 weeks off from work to heal completely.
How long to recover from a mini arm lift?
- Most patients recover in about two weeks after a mini arm lift.
How do I reduce scar tissue after an arm lift?
- Here is how to minimize the appearance of scars after the arm lift:
- Respect the postoperative instructions, as the wounds need to heal well in order to scar well. You will need to wear tapes as instructed for minimum of 3 months after surgery. Keep the wound from over-drying but don’t keep it to moist. Stay away from the sun and Eat healthily and drink lots of water to aid the body’s natural healing process
How to reduce swelling after an arm lift?
- Wear a compression garment for three to six weeks after the surgery. Use pillows to keep your arms elevated, and use the gentle exercises that you are instructed to do, gentle but very frequent pumps.
When can I return to work after the arm lift?
- You can return to work in about 2 to 3 weeks after the procedure.
When can I stop wearing a compression garment after an arm lift?
- It is advised to wear the compression garment for three to six weeks after the arm lift surgery, sometimes longer for supporting the scars.
When do you start driving after an arm lift?
- Generally, patients are able to drive 7 to 10 days after the surgery.
When does arm lift pain go away?
- Your surgeon will give you a handful of painkillers to counter the pain. You will feel mild to moderate discomfort for a week or two after the procedure.
How long is the recovery time after an arm lift?
- People recover in about three to four weeks after the surgery.
How painful is an arm lift recovery?
- You will not feel any pain if you take pain killers regularly, which will be recommended by your surgeon. So, it will be mildly uncomfortable but not painful.
Can I stand up straight after an arm lift?
- You can comfortably stand up straight after the surgery once your anaesthesia wears off.
What is the best scar treatment after an arm lift?
- Surgical tapes and medical grade silicone gels are considered to be the best scar treatment to minimize scars after the scar lift.
What is the recovery time after an arm lift?
- It will take three to four weeks to recover completely after the arm lift surgery.
How do you sleep after an arm lift?
- Sleep on your back and keep pillows under your arms to keep them elevated.
How long are arms swollen after Brachioplasty?
- Most of the swelling will go down in about six to eight weeks after the surgery, however, it might still be a variation for a while longer.
Can I go home the same day of arm lift surgery?
- It depends on your unique case. Typically, your surgeon will keep you overnight just to make sure everything is working well. In some cases, patients are allowed to go home on the same day.
How long after Brachioplasty can I exercise?
- You can exercise for four to six weeks after the surgery. Make sure to consult with your surgeon in this regard as well.
Questions about Longer Term Results of Arm lift
Here are the Arm LIft FAQs about the long term results after an Arm Lift.
Does the arm fat come back after an arm lift?
- Yes, fat can come back if you gain excessive weight after the arm lift surgery.
What happens if you gain weight after an arm lift?
- If you gain excessive weight after the surgery, you will be left with fat arms and might end up with stretch marks.
Do ‘dog ears’ go away after an arm lift?
- Yes, the dog ears typically go away on their own in a few months after the surgery. Non Surgical Treatments may help.
Questions about Risks & Concerns of Arm Lift Surgery
Is arm lift safe?
- Yes, an arm lift is a completely safe procedure, provided that you choose the right surgeon.
What causes necrosis after an arm lift?
- Necrosis is a formation of the dead tissue around the wound. The main causes of necrosis are excessive hot/cold therapy, infection, smoking, or wound tension.
What causes bruising after an arm lift?
- Like any other surgery, you can have swelling and bruising, especially if there is some associated liposuction component.
Questions about Funding Your Arm Lift Surgery
How much is flabby arm surgery?
- It can vary significantly from surgeon to surgeon, the facility you choose, and the type of arm lift you need. Please phone Dr Carmen’s team for an estimate.
Are arm lifts covered by Medicare?
- Medicare does not typically pay for arm lift surgery for cosmetic reasons only.
However, if you have had massive weight loss and you have symptoms related to that, you might qualify for an item number for skin removal/weight loss plastic surgery procedures, which would help with private health insurance paying for some of the expenses.
Does health insurance pay for Arm lift Surgery / Brachioplasty?
- Typically health insurance does not pay for Brachioplasty unless it is deemed as a medical necessity by your surgeon or doctor. Post Weight loss patients might benefit from some cover under private health insurance.
How do people afford plastic surgery?
- People who can afford it pay out of their pocket, but there is a number of financing options as well, which will allow you to pay for surgery over a span of years.
Can you finance an arm lift surgery? – Do you offer an Arm Lift Payment Plan?
- Yes, you can finance your arm lift surgery as it allows you to get a medical loan and then pay the amount back over an extended duration of time. TLC, Medipay and MacCredit may be able to help.
Is an arm lift worth it?
- Yes, an arm lift is totally worth it. It contours your arms and gives them a sculpted, sleeker look. A very high percentage of Arm lift patients on Realself have rated the surgery worth it.
Questions about preparing for an Arm lift
Do you need to lose weight before an arm lift?
- Before undergoing an arm lift or any other body procedure, it is best to lose any excess weight and be as close to your goal weight as possible. A BMI under 40 is needed (preferably less than 30 or 35).
How long do I need to quit smoking for arm lift surgery?
- It is advised not to smoke for a minimum of four to six weeks after the surgery as it can disrupt the healing process and lead to delayed healing and abnormal scars.
See Real Patient Arm Lift Results – Visit the Arm Lift Gallery for More Information