Breast Lift Surgery by Dr Carmen Munteanu Specialist Plastic Surgeon can help lift your breasts higher on your chest wall and put them back in a pre-baby position. The procedure is helpful for ptotic breasts that have sagged after pregnancy or ageing. Here Dr Carmen anwsers the most popular questions asked by her patients – Breast lift FAQs.
Download Dr Carmen’s Guide to Breast Lift Surgery – Mastopexy
General Options – Breast Lift Options FAQs
What is the difference between a breast lift and implants?
- Breast implants increase the size of breasts while breast lift surgery lifts up droopy and sagging breasts.
What is the difference between breast augmentation and breast lift?
- Breast augmentation is aimed at increasing the size of your boobs, while breast lift makes your boobs appear perky and lifted.
Why do people get breast lifts?
- Ageing, pregnancy, breastfeeding, and various factors can make breasts sag over time. Breast lift solves this problem and makes your sagging boobs appear lifted.
Can you get a breast lift with implants?
- Yes, you can get a breast lift with implants.
Can you get a breast lift without getting implants?
- Yes, you can get a breast lift without getting implants. These two are entirely different procedures that are only combined at the patient’s request.
Can you get a breast lift without scars?
- You will get some scars, but typically surgeons hide them really well. The scars also lighten and fade away gradually over time.
Do you need implants for a breast lift?
- No, you don’t need implants for a breast lift procedure.
Does a breast lift cost more than implants?
- Yes, breast lift costs more than breast implants as it takes more time to perform.
Does a breast lift make you smaller?
- Sometimes, the excess skin and tissues are removed to make your breasts appear perky during a breast lift procedure. This can cause a slight variation in the size of your breasts. As a result, your breasts can appear smaller, but the difference is unnoticeable.
Does a breast lift reduce the size?
- In some women, the size of the breast is reduced a bit, but it’s barely noticeable.
Does a breast lift reduce your cup size?
- A breast lift can cause a slight difference in the size of your breasts, but it is barely noticeable, and it won’t reduce an entire cup size.
Does a breast lift require implants?
- No, it doesn’t. If you want to go bigger, you can get a breast augmentation with the implants.
How to firm and lift breasts?
- The only way to achieve firm and lifted breasts is by opting for breast lift surgery.
How to lift sagging breast?
- Push-up bras are a great temporary fix, but the only way to permanently lift your breasts is by opting for a breast lift surgery.
How to lift sagging breast after pregnancy?
- Schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon and book yourself in for a breast lift surgery.
How to lift sagging breasts after weight loss?
- Opting for breast lift surgery is the only way to lift sagging breasts permanently after weight loss.
How to lift up sagging breast?
- Opt for breast lift surgery, and you can say goodbye to sagging breasts for life.
How can I tighten my breast skin?
- Opting for breast lift surgery is the best way to tighten the skin on your breasts.
How do you know if you need a breast lift?
- If your boobs are droopy and sagging and make you feel self-conscious, it’s time to get breast lift surgery.
Should I get a breast lift before or after pregnancy?
- Although you can get a breast lift at any time, it is recommended to get it done after pregnancy.
Breast Lift FAQs about Preparing for Surgery
How to get a referral for a breast lift?
- Well, the first thing is to talk to your GP regarding the sagging breasts and the problems associated with the condition. He will give you a referral after having a close overview of your condition, which will help the surgeon to plan the surgery accordingly.
How to prepare for a breast lift?
- Here is how to prepare for a breast lift surgery:
- Get all the lab tests done required by your surgeon
- Quit smoking and alcohol a few weeks prior to the surgery
- Avoid blood-thinning medications
- Take some time off from work
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after the surgery
- Eat healthily and drink plenty of water
Who is the best breast Lift surgeon?
- The breast lift surgeon you feel most comfortable with is the best one for you. Make sure to go through the credentials and experience of your surgeon in detail. Read online reviews and go to the consultation with at least three surgeons before selecting one.
Qualifying for Breast Lift FAQs
How do I know if I need a breast lift?
- If your breasts have flattened, elongated, have lost their youthful appearance, and make you self-conscious, you need breast lift surgery.
Can I get a breast lift if I am overweight?
- Being overweight can increase the risk of complications. Hence, it is generally recommended to be in a healthy weight range. However, you can still get it done if you are overweight.
Can you get a breast lift while pregnant?
- No, you shouldn’t undergo breast lift surgery while you are pregnant.
Do you need a breast lift with implants?
- No, you don’t need breast lift surgery with implants. However, if you want to increase the size of your breasts while getting a lift, you can get implants with the lift.
Do I need to lose weight before a breast lift?
- It is always good to be in your ideal weight range or close to it to minimize the risks.
How old do I need to be for a breast lift surgery?
- It is advised to wait till your breast development is complete on any kind of breast surgery. You can get it done at any point when you experience sagging of breasts.
When is a Breast Lift medically necessary?
- Most of the time, it is not medically necessary as it is purely a cosmetic procedure. However, if your sagging breasts are causing excessive chafing and causing issues with lymph nodes, it is considered to be a medical necessity.
Is there an age limit for breast Lift surgery?
- No, a breast lift can be performed on women of all ages, provided you are an ideal candidate for the surgery.
What BMI do you need for a breast lift?
- Your Breast Lift Surgery needs to be less than 35 to qualify for breast lift surgery.
At what age can I get a breast lift?
- You can get a breast lift at any age, provided you qualify for the surgery.
Can a breast lift help with back pain?
- Yes, it can evenly distribute the weight of your breast onto your chest and help you get rid of excessive back pain.
Do I need a breast lift?
- If you feel underconfident about how your breasts look, getting breast augmentation surgery is your best option.
Do I need a breast lift and augmentation?
- If you wish to increase the size of your breasts along with lifting them up, getting a breast lift with augmentation is your best option.
Do I need a breast lift with my implants?
- You don’t need it unless you want to lift your boobs along with increasing the size of your breasts.
Can you get a breast lift with existing implants?
- Yes, you can get a breast lift with existing implants.
Breast Lift Surgery FAQs
Are breast Lifts permanent?
- For most people, they are permanent. However, factors like pregnancy, ageing can alter your breasts, and you might need a touch-up procedure in the future.
Can you have a second breast lift surgery?
- Yes, you can get a second breast lift surgery.
Do I need a breast lift or reduction?
- If you want smaller breasts, you need a breast reduction. If you are looking to lift up your breasts without having any significant impact on the size, you need a breast lift.
How many stitches are in a breast lift?
- The incisions are made around the areola and the crease below the breasts. Stitches are used to close these incisions. The number of stitches can vary.
How much weight do you lose with a breast lift?
- It is common for women to lose anywhere between 10 to 20 pounds in the months following the surgery.
How small can you go with a breast lift?
- A breast lift will not make your breasts smaller. It is a procedure to lift up your sagging boobs.
Is breast lift surgery covered by insurance?
- No, unless it is deemed medically necessary by your doctor.
Is breast lift surgery worth it?
- Anything which gets rid of that insecure voice in your head and gives you loads of confidence is worth it. So, yes, it is worth it.
Is a breast lift included in a breast reduction?
- No, it is not included in breast reduction, but these two procedures can be done together if that’s what you want.
What is a Benelli breast lift?
- The Benelli or donut breast lift is a surgical procedure designed to make your breasts appear more youthful. The process involves minor incisions and minimal reshaping.
What is a donut breast lift?
- Donut breast lift is another name for Benelli breast lift. The process involves minor incisions and minimal reshaping and is aimed at making your boobs appear youthful.
What is a lollipop lift?
- Lollipop lift is one of the most common types of breast lift procedures. It involves two incisions in the shape of a lollipop—one around the areola and the other in the crease below your breasts.
What is a natural breast lift?
- A natural breast lift removes excess skin and tightens the tissues to make your breasts appear lifted.
How long is surgery for a breast lift?
- On average, it takes about 3 hours to complete the surgery.
Is a breast lift included in a breast reduction?
- No, a breast lift is not included in breast reduction, but it can be included at the patient’s request.
Recovery after Breast Lift FAQs
How long is recovery after a breast lift?
- It can take anywhere between 8 to 12 weeks to recover after a breast lift. Read more about Recovery After Breast Lift Surgery – Tips, Timeline and Healing.
How long is recovery from breast reduction and lift?
- The recovery phase will take anywhere between 8 to 12 weeks after the surgery.
When do steri strips come off after breast lift?
- The steri strips will come out in three weeks after the surgery.
Why is my stomach so bloated after a breast lift?
- You will be resting a lot after the surgery. Moreover, the swelling from the surgery will cause an accumulation of fluid in the stomach area.
How long after a breast lift can you exercise?
- Typically patients can resume normal exercise six to eight weeks after the surgery.
How to shower after breast lift surgery?
- Aim the shower at your back. Avoid getting your incisions wet. Gently wash the rest of your body with soap and water and pat dry.
How long does swelling last after a breast lift?
- Breast swelling will last anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks after the surgery.
How long after a breast lift can I have sex?
- You can have sex two weeks after the surgery.
How long after a breast lift can I take a bath?
- You can take a shower 48 weeks after the surgery. Avoid having bathes for 8 to 12 weeks or till you are fully recovered.
How long after a breast lift can I wear an underwire bra?
- Avoid underwear bra for eight weeks after the surgery.
How to sleep after breast Lift surgery?
- Sleep with your back in an alleviated position for a few weeks after the surgery.
When can I run after a breast lift?
- Well, there is no specific time to start running after breast surgery. Ideally, you should wait for six to eight weeks after the surgery.
When can I swim after a breast lift?
- It is advised to wait for at least four to six weeks after the surgery to swim.
When can you lift after a breast lift?
- Wait for 4 to 8 weeks after the surgery before you start lifting.
How tight should a sports bra be after a breast lift?
- Your sports bra needs to be snug enough to support your breasts but not too tight to the point of discomfort.
When can you sleep on your side after a breast lift?
- You can sleep on your side six weeks after the surgery.
When can I take a bath after a breast lift?
- Take showers instead of baths until you are fully healed.
How long after breastfeeding can I get a breast lift?
- It is generally recommended to wait for a period of three to six months to get a breast lift surgery.
How long for breast lift incisions to heal?
- Incisions typically heal in about two weeks after the surgery.
How long do I wear a sports bra after a breast lift?
- It is recommended to wear a sports bra for at least six to eight weeks after the surgery.
Longer-Term Breast Lift FAQs
How long do breast lifts last?
- For most women, the results of a breast lift last ages. However, factors like ageing, pregnancy, breastfeeding can change the look of your breasts.
Can I go without a bra after a breast lift?
- No, it is not recommended to go braless for a minimum of six weeks after the surgery.
Does breast lift affect pregnancy?
- No, a breast lift is a cosmetic procedure and has no impact on whether a woman’s pregnancy.
What bra should I wear after a breast lift?
- Wear a compression bra for the first two weeks. After that, you can switch to a sports bra for the next six to eight weeks.
Breast Lift Risks and Concerns FAQs
Is breast lift safe?
- Yes, a breast lift is a completely safe procedure.
Can u breastfeed after a breast lift?
- Yes, a breast lift procedure has no impact on breastfeeding.
Can you get breast cancer after a breast lift?
- No, a breast lift cannot cause breast cancer.
Does the breast grow back after lift?
- Breast lift has no impact on the size of your breasts. Your breasts will not grow after the lift.
Is breast lift safer than implants?
- Both procedures are safe in their own right and are used for different purposes.
Does breast lift affect breastfeeding?
- No, breast lift has no impact on breastfeeding.
Will pregnancy ruin a breast lift?
- Unfortunately, there is always a chance that it will. Pregnancy can negatively impact the results of your breast lift surgery, but for some people, their breasts stay the same.
Do breast lift scars go away?
- Breast lift scars are well hidden, so they won’t be as visible. Moreover, they gradually lighten over time. You can also use topical scar removal treatments once you are fully healed.
Do nipples still get hard after a breast lift?
- Yes, your nipples will get hard after a breast lift surgery.
Does breast lift increase the chance of cancer?
- No, breast lift has no impact on cancer.
How to get feeling back in your nipples after a breast lift?
- Once you are fully healed, the feeling and sensitivity of your nipples will return back to normal.
How to reduce breast lift scars?
- Follow all the post-operative instructions carefully. Do not expose your scars to UV rays; wear sunscreen and use topical scar removal treatments once you are fully healed.
What does a hematoma look like after breast lift?
- Significant bruising, discolouration of the skin with persistent pain are the most common signs of hematoma.
Can you breastfeed with a breast lift?
- Yes, you can breastfeed after breast lift surgery.
Can you feel your nipples after a breast lift?
- You will lose sensation in your nipples for a couple of months, but it returns to normal as your body heals completely.
Do breast lifts leave scars?
- Yes, but these are well hidden and usually fade away over time.
Do breasts sag after a breast lift?
- Yes, they can sag after a breast lift surgery.
Do you lose sensation in your nipples after a breast lift?
- You temporarily lose sensation in your nipples after a breast lift, but it returns back to normal.
Can you lose a cup size with a breast lift?
- No, you cannot lose a cup size with a breast lift.
Are breast lift scars worth it?
- Totally, they are not even noticeable and fade away over time.
Questions about Breast Lift Funding
Does Australian Medicare cover breast lift?
- Medicare will only cover breast lift if it meets the strict criteria is deemed as a medical necessity by your surgeon.
Can a breast lift be covered by medicare and health insurance?
- Yes, if the doctor declares it to be a medical necessity and meet the medicare criteria. No, if you are getting it done for purely aesthetic or cosmetic reasons.
Can health insurance cover breast lift?
- Health insurance will only cover the cost of breast lift surgery if it is deemed as a medical necessity by your doctor. You also need to have the right level of cover. Start by contacting your Health Fund and give them the breast lift item number.
Is a breast lift worth it?
- Realself Surveys of past patients have found that a Breast lift is worth it.
Is a breast lift cheaper than breast implants?
- No, it is actually more expensive than implants.
If you have any other Breast lift FAQs – Contact Dr Carmen’s team