Recovery After Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Melbourne
Gastric Sleeve Surgery (Sleeve Gastrectomy) involves reducing the size of your stomach to a short tube shape. It works by making you feel full sooner so that you eat less. Recovery after Gastric Sleeve Surgery can be a challenge. Here are some tips to help you through the process, after your Gastric Sleeve Surgery.
As a Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Melbourne, Dr Carmen Munteanu has a particular interest and expertise in Body Contouring surgeries. These include Body Lifting (excess skin removal and liposuction) after Significant Weight Loss, such as after Gastric Sleeve Surgery or embarking on a complete nutrition and exercise makeover plan.
1. Follow the diet recommended by your weight loss surgeon
Eating solid foods too soon or food high in fats and sugars, could put you at risk of harming yourself or damaging your stomach. Make sure you aren’t ingesting foods which are high in calories, sugar, or fat. Doing this could result in nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and other side effects. It is extremely important then that your follow your Surgeons Instructions. Always make sure you speak to your surgeon about how many calories you need each day. They’ll know you and your body and will give you a specific target catered to your particular needs.
2. Only Go back to work when you are ready
Your recovery time may vary, but it generally takes at least two weeks after surgery, before patients are ready to return to work. Only take on light duties when you do first return. Walking around, being slightly active, is good exercise, but don’t try anything like heavy lifting.
3. Exercise Gently when you can
It may be sometime before you can exercise fully, it is important to strengthen your muscles and get back to walking, or light exercise as soon as possible. Do not push too hard, and do too much too soon. Doing too much exercise could increase the chance of developing a hernia.
4. Attend all your post-op check-ups
Scheduled follow up appointments with your doctor to ensure you are recovering well are very important. Doing so will ensure you are on the right path with your diet, exercise, and weight loss goals.
5. Educate yourself about Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Find new ideas and recipes so food doesn’t become boring after surgery. It’s important to stick to your new diet. Staying proactive so food doesn’t become boring, or stale will help you avoid foods you shouldn’t eat.
6. Take your multivitamins & ProBiotics regularly
It can be tough to get all of the nutrition you need from food alone. Taking multivitamins will ensure you are getting the right nutrients. Which particular vitamins you need should be recommended by your Doctor. This should be a lifelong forming habit, so start early with the right advice.
7. Ask for help & advice when needed
During the recovery phase, it can be difficult to move and get things done. Make sure you get plenty of rest and have a good support network to help you ease back into normal life. Phone Dr Carmen’s Patient Advisor if you have any questions, at any time after your surgery.
8. Follow your prescription and take your medications
Be sure to follow your surgeons prescription and do not finish or wean yourself off your medication early. You should let your doctor know if you’re feeling any discomfort.
9. Watch the calories in your drinks
You will need to limit your calories as part of the weight loss program including calories in your liquids. Instead of consuming calories on drinks that provide only empty calories, use your calories to eat proteins that will keep you feeling full and help your recovery. Only drink low-calorie drinks like water, sugar-free juices, and unsweetened ice tea.
As a Specialist Plastic Surgeon regularly consulting with post-weight loss patients in Melbourne, Dr Carmen is highly regarded for her dedication to specialty surgical procedures for men and women including:
Body Contouring & Body Lift Procedures after Weight loss include:
- Arm Lift (Brachioplasty)
- Thigh Lift
- Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
- Body Lift (including Buttocks Lift, Belt Lipectomy and/or Abdominoplasty procedures)
Dr Carmen Munteanu has a particular interest and expertise in Body Contouring surgeries. These include Body Lifting (excess skin removal and liposuction) after Significant Weight Loss, such as after Gastric Sleeve Surgery or embarking on a complete nutrition and exercise makeover plan.
Please send an Enquiry today or phone
Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen Munteanu MD. FRACS (Plas) is a very skilled and compassionate Specialist Plastic Surgeon based in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
She is one of Melbourne’s most experienced and sought-after female Plastic Surgeons specialising in aesthetic breast surgery and body contouring. That includes Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Breast Implant Surgery and Body Surgery.
With over 25 years of surgical experience in Plastic Surgery, Dr Carmen firmly believes that a good surgeon is first a good doctor. She will always take into consideration all the health aspects and personal circumstances of each patient.
A dedicated Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr Carmen is renowned for providing exceptional care, support and helping achieve realistic goals for her patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Carmen
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu by paying the $275 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Email us for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org