Post-Pregnancy surgery can help remove loose stretched skin and repair tummy muscles after pregnancy. Here are the most common questions Dr Carmen gets asked about Breast and Tummy surgery after childbirth – the Post-Pregnancy FAQs.
Download Dr Carmen’s Guide to Post-Pregnancy Surgery
Questions About Post Pregnancy Surgery
How do I know if I need Post Pregnancy Surgery?
- If you are unhappy with how your body looks after pregnancy or breast feeding. If You have tried all kinds of exercises, lost weight but can’t seem to get your pre-pregnancy body back, this may be the procedure for you.
How can I tighten my tummy with Post Pregnancy surgery
- A post pregnancy surgery can include tummy tuck – abdominoplasty and tummy muscle repair as a part of the procedure. It involves removing excess skin and fat from the tummy area, giving you a toned, tight and flat stomach.
What is the best alternative to a Post Pregnancy surgery?
- Post pregnancy surgery involves breast surgeries, tummy tuck/ abdominoplasty and body contouring techniques to transform your entire body. Unfortunately, you cannot get the same results with any other procedure. Liposuction just does not help much with removal of excess stretched skin.
Should I get a Post pregnancy surgery or Lipo?
- Post pregnancy surgery targets your breasts, tummy and includes body contouring techniques such as lipo. Getting liposuction alone will sculpt your body in certain areas but won’t do anything for your tummy or breasts.
How soon can you fly after a post pregnancy surgery?
- It is recommended to wait for a period of four to six weeks before jumping on a plane after a post pregnancy surgery.
How much weight do you lose with a Post pregnancy surgery ?
- Patients can lose up to 5-10kg of excess fat, skin and fatty tissue during a post pregnancy surgery.
Does Medicare and insurance cover Post pregnancy surgery?
- A Post pregnancy surgery can be partly cosmetic and partly functional. Hence, Medicare and insurance may cover some of the cost of a post pregnancy procedure. Check out the medicare page or call the clinic to find out if you are eligible.
How common are Post pregnancy surgeries?
- Post pregnancy procedures are becoming increasingly popular.
Can you get a Post pregnancy surgery twice?
- Yes, most patients can get post pregnancy surgery done twice – especially after multiple pregnancies. However, in certain cases, surgeons avoid doing so based on the client’s health, overall wellbeing, and skin elasticity.
Questions About Types of Post pregnancy surgery
What’s included in a Post pregnancy surgery?
- Post pregnancy surgery typically includes breast augmentation, breast lift, tummy tuck– abdominoplasty, liposuction, vaginal rejuvenation, and maybe circumferential abdominoplasty.
What is a full Post pregnancy surgery?
- Post pregnancy surgery typically includes breast augmentation, breast lift, liposuction and tummy tuck-abdominoplasty.
What are the surgeries in a Post pregnancy surgery?
- Following are the 5 types of procedures:
Post Pregnancy FAQs about being a Suitable Candidate
What age is best for a Post pregnancy surgery?
- There is no standard age or the right time to get post pregnancy surgery. However, it is recommended to wait till you are finished having ALL your children, are not lactating and have lost pregnancy weight. If you want to access the medicare item number for a breast lift surgery your youngest child must be over 1 and under 7.
Who is a good candidate for a post pregnancy surgery?
- You are a good candidate for the surgery if you do not plan to have children in the future, are in generally good health and have realistic expectations from the surgery.
Post Pregnancy Surgery FAQs about Preparing for Surgery
How do I prepare for a Post pregnancy surgery?
- These tips will help you prepare:
- Get any lab tests and medical evaluation done
- Take certain medications or alter your medications as per your surgeon’s recommendation
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol for a few weeks before the surgery
- Do not take anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Prepare your resting and recovery space at home
Should I lose weight before a post pregnancy surgery?
- Yes, it is advised to lose post-pregnancy weight or be as close to your ideal weight as possible before getting the surgery.
Questions About the Post Pregnancy Surgery
What type of anaesthesia is used for Post Pregnancy Surgery?
- The surgery is performed under general anaesthesia under the care of a qualified anaesthetist in an accredited hospital. Avoid having local anaesthesia in a Day Surgery centre for this complex surgery.
Where are Post Pregnancy Surgery scars located?
- The scars are typically well hidden in the contours of your body; the bikini area, under the breast fold etc.
How many hours does a Post Pregnancy Surgery take?
- The surgery takes anywhere from four to six hours depending on the procedures you are having.
Post Pregnancy FAQs about Recovery
Read the Recovery after Post Pregnancy Blog
How long does it take to recover from a Post Pregnancy Surgery?
- Post pregnancy surgery is a highly individual procedure. Therefore, the recovery time will vary from person to person. Generally speaking, it can take you four to eight weeks to recover fully from a Post Pregnancy Surgery.
How do you sleep after the surgery?
- Sleep in a recliner or keep your back in an alleviated position if sleeping on your bed. Make sure you wear a supportive garments.
What is the fastest way to recover from the surgery?
- The fastest way to recover is by following all the pre and post-surgery instructions, resting, and eating well. Don’t smoke and avoid passive smoke.
How can I speed up my recovery?
- You have to take your time with your recovery and allow your body to heal at its own pace. Follow all the pre and post-surgical instructions religiously and rest as much as possible.
How long does the tightness last?
- It can take about six to eight weeks for the tightness to go away after the surgery.
How long before my body looks natural?
- It can take up to six months for the results to look natural after a post pregnancy surgery.
How long after the surgery can I sleep on my side?
- You can sleep on your side eight to twelve weeks after the surgery.
How do you reduce swelling after a post pregnancy surgery?
- Here are a few tips to reduce swelling after a post pregnancy surgery:
- Wear a compression garment to minimise swelling.
- Sleep in a recliner in an elevated position.
- Walk slowly to prevent blood clots.
- Visit surgeon for follow up appointments.
- Eat healthy foods which are low in sodium.
How painful is recovery from Post pregnancy surgery?
- You won’t feel any pain during the surgery as it is performed under general anaesthesia. After the surgery, you will be given pain killers to reduce discomfort so it will be more comfortable.
How long should you wear compression garments after a Post pregnancy surgery?
- It is advised to wear a compression garments for four to six weeks.
What happens if you don’t wear a compression garment after post pregnancy surgery?
- If you don’t wear a compression garment, swelling can get worse before it gets better. It can lead to fluid build-up which will cause your post-op swelling to linger longer. You may get suboptimal wound healing results and skin laxity too. Please wear your garments!
How do you clean Post Pregnancy surgery stitches?
- First things first, wash and sterilise your hands. Take the bandage off, wash the incision site with warm soapy water, pat dry and put the dressing on top. At Dr Carmen’s clinic, nursing staff will do this for you.
How do you wash your hair after a Post pregnancy surgery?
- Avoid washing your hair for 48 hours after the surgery. You can wash your hair as normal. Just try keeping your arms close to your body.
What can you eat after a post pregnancy surgery?
- Aim at eating healthy whole foods. Include lots of proteins, fresh fruits, vegetables and yogurt in your diet. Avoid processed meals and keep sodium levels low.
What should I eat after a post pregnancy surgery?
- Eat healthy, home-cooked meals which are low in sodium.
Can you walk after a post pregnancy surgery?
- It is advised to start walking lightly around the house on a regular basis for up to five to ten minutes during the first-week post-surgery to prevent blood clotting.
Post Pregnancy Surgery FAQs about Results
How long do the effects of a Post pregnancy surgery last?
- The results are permanent and last a lifetime.
How can you tell if someone had post pregnancy surgery?
- The only way to tell that someone has had surgery is by looking for the scars which are usually well hidden or faded in the natural contours of the body.
Post pregnancy surgery FAQs about Risks
Do Post pregnancy procedures ever look natural?
- Yes, the results look fairly natural once you pass the three-month mark after the surgery.
What are the risks?
- Every surgery comes with a certain degree of risk. Some of the possible complications include; infection, poor healing of incisions, haematoma, bleeding, loss of nipple, seroma, scarring, recurring looseness, and capsular contracture. These risks are well managed by surgeons like Dr Carmen.
Further Information about a Post Pregnancy Surgery
- Download and read the Post Pregnancy Surgery Guide, Tummy and Breast Surgery Guides
- Visit Dr Carmen’s Post Pregnancy Surgery page
- Look at Dr Carmen’s Tummy Surgery and Breast Surgery Before and After Photos
- Read Dr Carmen’s Blog about Recovery after Post-pregnancy surgery