Mummy Makeover surgery can help remove loose skin and repair tummy muscles after pregnancy. Here are the most common questions Dr Carmen gets asked about a Mummy Makeover – Breast and Tummy surgery after childbirth – the Mummy Makeover FAQs.
Download Dr Carmen’s Guide to a Mummy Makeover
Questions About a Mummy Makeover
Is a Mummy Makeover a good idea?
- If you wish to get back your pre-pregnancy body or maybe look even better than you ever did before, a Mummy Makeover can be a transformative experience.
How do I know if I need a Mummy Makeover?
- If you are unhappy with how your body looks after pregnancy or breast feeding. If You have tried all kinds of exercises, lost weight but can’t seem to get your pre-pregnancy body back, Mummy Makeover may be the procedure for you.
How can I tighten my tummy with a Mummy Makeover?
- A Mummy Makeover can include tummy tuck and tummy muscle repair as a part of the procedure. It involves removing excess skin and fat from the tummy area, giving you a toned, tight and flat stomach.
What is the best alternative to a Mummy Makeover?
- Mummy Makeover involves breast surgeries, tummy tuck and body contouring techniques to transform your entire body. Unfortunately, you cannot get the same results with any other procedure. Liposuction just does not help much with removal of excess stretched skin.
Should I get a Mummy Makeover or Lipo?
- Mummy Makeover is a whole-body experience. It targets your breasts, tummy and includes body contouring techniques such as lipo. Getting liposuction alone will sculpt your body in certain areas but won’t do anything for your tummy or breasts.
How would I look with a Mummy Makeover?
- Essentially, you will look like how you used to look before having a baby or even better. Lifted breasts, flatter toned tummy and contoured body are just a few of the perks of the Mummy Makeover.
How soon can you fly after a mummy makeover?
- It is recommended to wait for a period of four to six weeks before jumping on a plane after a Mummy Makeover surgery.
How much weight do you lose with a Mummy Makeover ?
- Patients can lose up to 5-10kg of excess fat, skin and fatty tissue during a Mummy Makeover.
Does Medicare and insurance cover Mummy Makeover ?
- A Mummy Makeover can be partly cosmetic and partly functional. Hence, Medicare and insurance may cover some of the cost of a Mummy Makeover. Check out the medicare page or call the clinic to find out if you are eligible.
How common are Mummy Makeovers?
- Mummy Makeovers are becoming increasingly popular as women want to get back to their pre-pregnancy bodies as soon as possible.
Can you get a Mummy Makeover twice?
- Yes, most patients can get Mummy Makeovers done twice – especially after multiple pregnancies. However, in certain cases, surgeons avoid doing so based on the client’s health, overall wellbeing, and skin elasticity.
Who is the best surgeon for a Mummy Makeover?
- There are a lot of great plastic surgeons that are expert in breast and tummy surgery. You’ll have to do some research to land on the right one – look for FRACS qualification, patient photos and online reviews. If you are in Australia, Dr Carmen Munteanu is certainly amongst the top surgeons for your mummy makeover body transformation.
Questions About Types of Mummy Makeover
What are the best Mummy Makeover procedures?
- Typically Mummy Makeover comprises of breast surgeries (Breast augmentation, reduction or lift or a combination of any two), a lower body lift, or tummy tuck and liposuction. It could also include some vaginal rejuvenation.
What’s included in a Mummy Makeover ?
- Mummy Makeover typically includes breast augmentation, breast lift, tummy tuck, liposuction, vaginal rejuvenation, and maybe circumferential abdominoplasty.
What is the Mummy Makeover package?
- A Mummy Makeover package includes several cosmetic procedures which are performed together; breast surgeries, tummy tuck or lower body lift, vaginoplasty and liposuction.
What is a full Mummy Makeover?
- Mummy Makeover typically includes breast augmentation, breast lift, liposuction and tummy tuck.
What are the surgeries in a Mummy Makeover?
- Following are the 5 types of Mummy Makeover procedures:
What is included in a Mummy Makeover?
- A Mummy Makeover is customized for every patient. It typically includes breast surgeries, abdominoplasty, vaginal rejuvenation, and liposuction.
Mummy Makeover FAQs about being a Suitable Candidate
What age is best for a Mummy Makeover?
- There is no standard age or the right time to get Mummy Makeover. However, it is recommended to wait till you are finished having ALL your children, are not lactating and have lost pregnancy weight. If you want to access the medicare item number for a breast lift surgery your youngest child must be over 1 and under 7.
Who is a good candidate for a Mummy Makeover?
- You are a good candidate for a Mummy Makeover if you do not plan to have children in the future, are in generally good health and have realistic expectations from the surgery.
What is the best age for a Mummy Makeover?
- There is no right age for getting a mummy makeover. However, it is recommended to avoid getting a Mummy Makeover until you are done having all your children.
Is 60 too old for a Mummy Makeover?
- Age is just a number even for surgeries. If you are physically healthy, sixty or any other age bracket is not too old for getting a Mummy Makeover surgery.
Mummy Makeover FAQs about Preparing for Surgery
How do I prepare for a Mummy Makeover?
- These tips will help you prepare for Mummy Makeover:
- Get any lab tests and medical evaluation done
- Take certain medications or alter your medications as per your surgeon’s recommendation
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol for a few weeks before the surgery
- Do not take anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Prepare your resting and recovery space at home
Should I lose weight before a Mummy Makeover?
- Yes, it is advised to lose post-pregnancy weight or be as close to your ideal weight as possible before getting a Mummy Makeover.
Questions About the Mummy Makeover Surgery
What type of anesthesia is used for Mummy Makeover?
- Mummy Makeover is performed under general anaesthesia under the care of a qualified anaesthetist in an accredited hospital. Avoid having local anaesthesia in a Day Surgery centre for this complex surgery.
Where are Mummy Makeover scars located?
- The scars from Mummy Makeover are typically well hidden in the contours of your body; the bikini area, under the breast fold etc.
How many hours does a Mummy Makeover take?
- Mummy Makeover takes anywhere from four to six hours depending on the procedures you are having.
Mummy Makeover FAQs about Recovery
Read the Recovery after Mummy Makeover Blog
How long does it take to recover from a Mummy Makeover?
- Mummy Makeover is a highly individual procedure. Therefore, the recovery time will vary from person to person. Generally speaking, it can take you four to eight weeks to recover fully from a Mummy Makeover.
How do you sleep after a Mummy Makeover?
- Sleep in a recliner or keep your back in an alleviated position if sleeping on your bed. Make sure you wear a supportive garments.
What is the fastest way to recover from a Mummy Makeover?
- The fastest way to recover from a Mummy Makeover is by following all the pre and post-surgery instructions, resting, and eating well. Don’t smoke and avoid passive smoke.
How can I speed up my Mummy Makeover recovery?
- You have to take your time with your recovery and allow your body to heal at its own pace. Follow all the pre and post-surgical instructions religiously and rest as much as possible.
How long does the tightness last after a Mummy Makeover?
- It can take about six to eight weeks for the tightness to go away after a Mummy Makeover.
How long before Mummy Makeover looks natural?
- It can take up to six months for the results to look natural after a Mummy Makeover.
How long after a Mummy Makeover can I sleep on my side?
- You can sleep on your side eight to twelve weeks after the surgery.
How do you reduce swelling after a Mummy Makeover?
- Here are a few tips to reduce swelling after a Mummy Makeover:
- Wear a compression garment to minimize swelling.
- Sleep in a recliner in an alleviated position.
- Walk slowly to prevent blood clots.
- Visit surgeon for follow up appointments.
- Eat healthy foods which are low in sodium.
How painful is recovery from Mummy Makeover?
- Mummy Makeovers aren’t as painful as you think. You won’t feel any pain during the surgery as it is performed under general anaesthesia. After the surgery, you will be given pain killers to reduce discomfort so it will be more comfortable.
How long does it take to heal from a mummy makeover?
- It will take you about four to eight weeks to recover from a mummy makeover.
How long should you wear compression garments after a Mummy Makeover?
- It is advised to wear a compression garments for four to six weeks after a Mummy Makeover.
What happens if you don’t wear a compression garment after Mummy Makeover?
- If you don’t wear a compression garment, swelling can get worse before it gets better. It can lead to fluid build-up which will cause your post-op swelling to linger longer. You may get suboptimal wound healing results and skin laxity too. Please wear your garments!
How do you clean Mummy Makeover stitches?
- First things first, wash and sterilise your hands. Take the bandage off, wash the incision site with warm soapy water, pat dry and put the dressing on top. At Dr Carmen’s clinic, nursing staff will do this for you.
How do you wash your hair after a Mummy Makeover?
- Avoid washing your hair for 48 hours after the surgery. You can wash your hair as normal. Just try keeping your arms close to your body.
What can you eat after a Mummy Makeover?
- Aim at eating healthy whole foods. Include lots of proteins, fresh fruits, vegetables and yogurt in your diet. Avoid processed meals and keep sodium levels low.
What should I eat after a mummy makeover?
- Eat healthy, home-cooked meals which are low in sodium.
When can I sleep on my side after Mummy Makeover?
- You can sleep on your side 8 to 12 weeks after Mummy Makeover.
Can I sleep without my compression garment?
- No, it is important to wear a compression garment for the first six to eight weeks even when you are sleeping.
When can I take a shower after Mummy Makeover?
- It is best to avoid showering for 48 hours after the mummy makeover.
Can you walk after a mummy makeover?
- It is advised to start walking lightly around the house on a regular basis for up to five to ten minutes during the first-week post-surgery to prevent blood clotting.
Mummy Makeover FAQs about Results
How long does it take to look normal after a Mummy Makeover?
- You will start to look fairly normal eight to twelve weeks after the surgery. The results will continue to improve over time – up to 6 months.
How long do the effects of a Mummy Makeover last?
- The results of mummy makeover are permanent and last a lifetime.
How can you tell if someone had a Mummy Makeover?
- The only way to tell that someone has had a Mummy Makeover is by looking for the scars which are usually well hidden or faded in the natural contours of the body.
Mummy Makeover FAQs about Risks
Do Mummy Makeovers ever look natural?
- Yes, mummy makeovers look fairly natural once you pass the three-month mark after the surgery.
What are the risks of a Mummy Makeover?
- Every surgery comes with a certain degree of risk. Some of the possible complications include; infection, poor healing of incisions, hematoma, bleeding, loss of nipple, seroma, scarring, recurring looseness, and capsular contracture. These risks are well managed by expert surgeons like Dr Carmen.
Mummy Makeover FAQs – Is it Worth it?
Is Mummy Makeover worth it?
- Yes, it is worth it as it can gives you a better looking body and increased confidence. It can also help to reduce incontinence, skin irritations and help back pain.
Further Information about a Mummy Makeover
- Download and read the Mummy Makeover Guide, Tummy and Breast Surgery Guides
- Visit Dr Carmen’s Mummy Makeover page
- Look at Dr Carmen’s Tummy Surgery and Breast Surgery Before and After Photos
- Read Dr Carmen’s Blog about Recovery after Mummy Makeover