Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Surgery In Melbourne
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is usually brought on by increased pressure on the median nerve in the wrist. Dr Carmen Munteanu in Melbourne offers surgical relief for this condition.
Dr Carmen Munteanu is a specialist plastic surgeon and armlift expert. She provides dedicated and compassionate care to her patients who wish to undergo this surgery.
CTS occurs when pressure builds up due to swelling in the tunnel where the median nerve and nine tendons pass from the forearm into the hand. When the pressure reaches the point where it disturbs how the nerve works, you may start to feel symptoms such as:
- pain in the arm
- pain in the hand
- pain in the fingers
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be, in some cases, treated surgically to enlarge the carpal tunnel and decrease the pressure on the nerve.
What causes carpal tunnel syndrome?
Unfortunately, the cause of CTS is often unknown. The reason for this is that pressure on the nerve can be caused by:
- tenosynovitis swelling of the lining of the flexor tendons
- joint dislocations
- arthritis – narrowing the tunnel
- keeping the wrist bent for long periods of time
It may be one or a combination of these causes.
How is carpal tunnel syndrome diagnosed?
To properly diagnose this condition a detailed medical history is required, and x-rays may be taken to check for problems such as arthritis or fractures. An electrodiagnostic study (either NCV-nerve conduction velocities or EMG-electromyogram) will be carried out to confirm the diagnoses of CTS, as well as other possible nerve problems
Non-surgical treatment for CTS
It is possible for the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome to be alleviated without surgery. Non-surgical solutions include:
- Changing the pattern of hand use
- Wearing wrist splints to keep your wrists straight
- Steroid injection into the carpal tunnel
Surgical treatment for CTS
If these non-surgical options are inefficient, or your condition is too severe, Aesthetik Profile offers a surgical option. Surgical treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome involves decreasing the pressure on the nerve by cutting the ligament which forms the roof of the tunnel on the palm side of your hand.
It is important to keep in mind that carpal tunnel syndrome, in severe cases, may never be cured. However, with surgery, it is possible to alleviate symptoms.
After surgery, you may experience some discomfort around the treated area, which will dissipate in 1-2 weeks. Additionally, it may take a few weeks for strength to return completely to your hand.
How much is a Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Surgery,? – Surgery Costs & fees
At your initial consultation, you will be given a detailed quote for your chosen procedure. This will include a Surgeon’s fee, Anaesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee and the hospital fees.
Dr Carmen’s team will provide you a customised fee for your surgery depending on the type of procedure, hospital and how long you want to stay in hospital. An approximate fee range for your arm lift surgery can be provided over the phone when you speak to a Patient Care Advisor. We also provide information on different methods of payment.
Find out more about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Surgery Prices and Consultation Fees
Risks and Complications of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Surgery
Every surgery has some risks and possible complications.
Dr Carmen will cover the potential risks and complications during your consultation as part of your informed consent. She will also explain the measures she will take in order to reduce your risks as much as possible.
For more information about risks of surgery and possible complications
Things you can do to minimise your risks and complications of surgery
- Read all your surgical documents and follow instructions of your surgeon precisely – rest & Allow time to heal, wear your compression garments as instructed, avoid removing your own bandages or touching at the incision site until it has healed properly.
- Do NOT Smoke at all during the surgical journey – especially critical in the periods before and after surgery
- Be accurate and upfront about ALL your medications, supplements and vitamins that you are currently taking – Tell both Dr Carmen and your anaesthetist
- When providing your medical history give specific details about ANY past difficulties you have had with surgery, anaesthesia, hospital visits or healing
- Thorough pre-washing of your own body prior to surgery can reduce skin bacteria and risk of infection.
- Successful surgical outcomes are the result of a number of considerations – realistic surgical goals, realistic patient expectations, and a good knowledge and understanding of possible risks and complications.
About Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen has 25 years of expertise in breast & tummy surgery as well as excess skin removal for weight-loss patients. Her favourite surgery is Breast Reduction. She also has significant experience in using fat transfer & fat grafting processes to the breast for augmentation and enhancement.
Dr Carmen is a FRACS Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon – she is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
She is a precise surgeon and customises her surgery procedures and placement of surgical incision lines for each patient to get the best outcomes.
Caring and engaging, Dr Carmen is highly regarded by her peers and patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about consultation pricing, payment plans and paying for surgery here
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Email us for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org