Prominent Ear Correction – Ear Pinning – Otoplasty in Melbourne
If you or your child have protruding, misshapen, or disfigured ears, you may wish to consider ear correction surgery in Melbourne to help improve their shape, position, or proportion.
Dr Carmen Munteanu is a specialist plastic surgeon and ear surgery expert. She provides dedicated and compassionate care to her patients who wish to correct their ears.
Ear correction surgery, also known as otoplasty, is able to correct defects which were present at birth, or caused by an injury, creating a natural shape, while bringing balance and proportion to the ears and face.
Our ears are a distinctive feature of our facial anatomy, and if one or both ears are protruding or appear disproportionate, it can be a source of embarrassment, and even a root of bullying. For many people, correcting even a minor deformity of the ear or ears can have a profound benefit on their appearance, which may also provide a boost to their self-esteem.
Otoplasty is able to treat a range of ear defects including macrotia (a rare condition which causes overly large ears) as well as protruding ears on one or both sides of the head. This surgery can be carried out on both adults and children.
Dr Carmen Munteanu understands the emotional impact ear structure can have on adults and children alike, and provides expert and compassionate care to her patients who wish to undergo this procedure.
You can find out more about otoplasty in the links below.
Planning your ear correction surgery
At your pre-operative consultation Dr Carmen will listen carefully to your concerns and desired outcomes, and conduct an examination of your ears. She will then provide you with a recommendation and options which are tailored to your specific circumstances and needs.
The Ear Correction / Otoplasty Surgical procedure
For your comfort, ear correction surgery will normally be performed under either a local anaesthetic combined with intravenous sedation, or general anaesthetic. Dr Carmen will recommend the ideal choice for your specific circumstances.
To correct protruding ears, Dr Carmen uses surgical techniques which improve the antihelical fold (inside the rim of the ear) and reduce the enlarged conchal cartilage (the largest and deepest concavity of the external ear). Incisions for ear surgery are generally made on the back surface of the ear, but if the technique chosen requires an incision on the front of the ear, it will be made in the fold.
Internal, non-removable sutures are applied to shape and secure the ear cartilage in place, and the incision will then be closed using external stitches.
The incision technique chosen is tailored to each individual surgery, taking care to not distort other structures, and ensure a natural appearance.
Recovery after Ear Correction Surgery
After your surgery, you will be taken to a recovery room and closely monitored. At this time, your Ears will be wrapped with gauze dressings. After a few hours, you may be permitted to go home and rest.
Before you leave our surgery, you will receive detailed instructions to help you care for your Ear Correction, prescribed medication to aid in the healing process and reduce the risk of infection, and your follow-up date with Dr Carmen.
The instructions you receive will be personalised to perfectly suit your unique circumstances. It’s essential that you follow all instructions carefully to ensure the best possible outcome.
You will also receive Dr Carmen’s private number to address any concerns or prevent further complications immediately.
Following a post-surgical recovery period of about 24 to 48 hours and an additional reduced activity period it is likely you will experience discomfort and swelling to the surgical area for a few weeks.
You can begin introducing exercise and normal activity under the direction of Dr Carmen.
For more information about recovery visit the recovery page.
How much is a Ear Correction Surgery in Melbourne? – prices & costs
All Surgery is customised and Dr Carmen’s team will give you a price for your Ear Correction Surgery that will depend on the exact type of procedure you require, the hospital you attend and the length of your stay.
After your initial consultation, you will be given a detailed quote. This will include the Surgeon’s fee, Anaesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee and the hospital fees.
We can also provide information on Payment Plans, Finance, Private Health Insurance and different methods of payment.
How to find the best Ear Correction Surgery surgeon in Melbourne
Look for a surgeon with significant experience in your chosen procedure. Always get an opinion from a specialist plastic surgeon rather than an under-qualified doctor calling themselves a cosmetic surgeon. Make sure you check the AHPRA and ASPS websites to ensure they are really a plastic surgeon.
If you’re looking for a top Ear Correction plastic surgeon always look at their before and after patient photos and search online for reviews and comments from their past patients.
Artistic skill, experience and good judgement are needed to avoid complications and to achieve an outstanding fat transfer result.
Planning your Ear Correction Surgery
During your consultation Dr Carmen will carefully listen to your concerns and expectations, as well as discussing your reasons for surgery, health history, and risk factors. Your diet, exercise, personality, body frame and quality of your Ear Correction tissue are also factors which will need to be taken into consideration.
After conducting a comprehensive medical examination, Dr Carmen will advise you of the options she feels are best suited to your individual case. She will also further discuss the expected results, and recommend a treatment plan, from the preparation stage through to the aftercare.
For more information about your patient journey and your first consultation about Ear correction visit the page
Ear Correction Surgery Results
Once your bandages have been removed, the results of your surgery will be immediately visible. While it is normal to experience some swelling and bruising, this will dissipate with time; incision lines should also fade.
To ensure you achieve the best results possible, it’s important to ensure you follow the post-surgery instructions you are provided with.
While this surgery is generally able to achieve good results, it should be noted that in some situations it may not be possible to achieve optimal results in a single surgical procedure.
Risks and Complications of Ear Correction Surgery
Every surgery has some risks and possible complications.
Dr Carmen will cover the potential risks and complications during your consultation as part of your informed consent. She will also explain the measures she will take in order to reduce your risks as much as possible.
Possible complications of surgery include the following:
- Complications related to general anaesthetic or side effects of drugs used in hospital
- Bleeding – reduced by preoperative testing of possible blood anomalies, accurate technique, use of drains, particular dressings, compressive garments
- Infection – prevented/reduced by judicious use of antibiotics, good surgical technique, modern sealing dressings, appropriate care, advice
- Abnormal or asymmetrical scarring– Many scars can be improved if approached in the right time frame in the right way.
- Fluid build-up or seroma
- Other risks include – Numbness and Pain, Wound breakdown and delayed healing, unsightly or keloid Scarring,
- Serious complications such as possible Heart attack, Deep Vein Thrombosis, Pulmonary Embolism
For more information about risks of surgery and possible complications
Things you can do to minimise your risks and complications of surgery
- Read all your surgical documents and follow instructions of your surgeon precisely – rest & Allow time to heal, wear your compression garments as instructed, avoid removing your own bandages or touching at the incision site until it has healed properly.
- Do NOT Smoke at all during the surgical journey – especially critical in the periods before and after surgery
- Be accurate and upfront about ALL your medications, supplements and vitamins that you are currently taking – Tell both Dr Carmen and your anaesthetist
- When providing your medical history give specific details about ANY past difficulties you have had with surgery, anaesthesia, hospital visits or healing
- Thorough pre-washing of your own body prior to surgery can reduce skin bacteria and risk of infection.
- Successful surgical outcomes are the result of a number of considerations – realistic surgical goals, realistic patient expectations, and a good knowledge and understanding of possible risks and complications.
About Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen has 25 years of expertise in breast & tummy surgery as well as excess skin removal for weight-loss patients. Her favourite surgery is Breast Reduction. She also has significant experience in using fat transfer & fat grafting processes to the breast for augmentation and enhancement.
Dr Carmen is a FRACS Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon – she is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
She is a precise surgeon and customises her surgery procedures and placement of surgical incision lines for each patient to get the best outcomes.
Caring and engaging, Dr Carmen is highly regarded by her peers and patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about consultation pricing, payment plans and paying for surgery here
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Email us for more information: email@example.com