Breast Reduction Surgery to Reducing Excess Breast Skin after Massive Weight Loss
Sudden weight loss, most often after bariatric surgery, can cause unwanted changes to some parts of the body. The breasts are the part of the body that undergoes visible changes after such surgery. Dr Carmen Munteanu is a Melbourne expert at body lift surgery after Massive Weight Loss including reduction of excess breast skin.
Breast Reduction Surgery, also known as Reduction Mammaplasty, is a surgical process by which your breasts are reduced and shaped to achieve the desired appearance. Big Breast Reduction is sometimes required after massive weight loss or bariatric surgery.
Due to the loss of a large amount of adipose tissue, most patients notice changes in their breasts. The skin becomes droopy and saggy, while the nipples often end up in a lower position, thus impairing the aesthetics of the breast.
There is a wide variety of aesthetic procedures for body shaping after significant weight loss. The elastic properties of the skin and its ability to shrink and adjust to the body after weight loss depends on many factors such as age, body part, and genetic predisposition.
Even in younger patients with quality skin, dilated skin can only shrink to a certain extent. To achieve better results, it is necessary to seek help in plastic surgery.
Breast reduction after massive weight loss is a cosmetic surgery operation that improves the size and weight of heavy and saggy breasts and helps to create an aesthetically pleasing contour in relation to the patient’s body.
By removing excess breast tissue, fat, and stretched skin, a specialist surgeon makes the breasts smaller, lighter, and firmer, and also improves breast symmetry and general harmony with other parts of the body.
Am I suitable for Breast Reduction after Massive Weight Loss?
Good candidates for this type of surgery are all those people who, after a successful path of massive weight loss, have become dissatisfied with the appearance of their breasts.
Such persons most often suffer from a lack of self-confidence caused by changes in the appearance of the breasts and often cover up this physical defect with large and baggy clothes.
Physical and emotional discomfort can be a major psychological burden in patients, and this is the most common reason why patients choose extensive interventions to improve their results after massive weight loss.
But there are certain conditions that must be met for a patient to be a good candidate for this type of surgery. You are probably a good candidate for breast reduction surgery if:
- You want to regain the fullness of your breasts lost through weight loss
- You feel reduced self-confidence because of the look of your breasts
- Your breasts have greatly changed their appearance for the worse
- The skin of your breasts has become droopy (saggy boobs)
- Your nipples have changed position due to a change in breast shape
- You have a stable body weight
- You are not a smoker, or you are willing to quit smoking
- You are in good overall health
- You are not suffering from serious illnesses and medical conditions
- You have realistic expectations
It is important to note that you will need to undergo thorough physical and health checks to ensure safety and better results and reduce the potential risk of complications.
Benefits of Breast Reduction after Massive Weight Loss
Breast reduction surgery after massive weight loss raises patients’ self-confidence and allows them to enjoy their appearance.
Because it alleviates physical and emotional discomfort and improves a patient’s appearance, breast reduction can be one of the most diverse cosmetic surgery procedures. This procedure is very individual and as such specially tailored to each patient.
Patients notice an increase in self-confidence as well as a renewed sense of freedom in wearing the clothes they want to wear and participate in physical activities they previously avoided.
Breast reduction surgery creates a more beautiful, proportionate breast shape using techniques tailored to address the patient’s needs. Breasts get a more natural and beautiful look, and aesthetic problems created after losing weight become a thing of the past.
While many patients choose breast reduction to alleviate physical symptoms such as back, neck, shoulder pain, or discomfort during exercise, the aesthetic benefits of breast reduction can be the removal of excess skin, lifted and firmer breasts, and properly positioned nipples.
Breast reduction after significant weight loss will greatly improve the contour of your body, and allow you to feel good in your own skin.
Breast Reduction after Massive Weight Loss Before and After Photos
Visit the clinic to see the real patient photo gallery of Before and After Breast Reduction after a Massive Weight Loss Surgery photographs representing typical results our patients get. Results depend on individual patient circumstances and can vary significantly.
Breast Reduction after Massive Weight Loss Procedure
Breast reduction after weight loss is an individual surgical procedure. No patient is the same, and each procedure is tailored to the wishes and capabilities of the patient.
There are several techniques for a breast reduction after weight loss. In patients with good and quality skin, simple liposuction may be enough. In other patients who require more extensive surgery, the surgeon will apply an appropriate method to achieve the desired results.
Depending on the method of the procedure chosen by your specialist surgeon, through an incision in your breasts, the surgeon will remove excess tissue and skin and thus improve their appearance.
The following step is the closure of the incision and preparation for recovery.
Recovery after Breast Reduction after Massive Weight Loss Surgery
After a short time spent in a hospital, under a supervised recovery, you will be able to go home and start a home recovery. Patients generally leave the hospital the same day, except in cases requiring enhanced care and nursing.
The amount of time it takes to recover depends on the natural ability to heal, as well as the extent of the surgery itself.
In the first few days after breast reduction surgery, patients may experience mild pain and discomfort, which in most cases is successfully treated with prescribed medications by a Surgeon Specialist.
In the first few days, it is advisable to have someone who can help you with your daily functioning and actions like putting on clothes.
Sleeping in an elevated position and cold compresses can help you control swelling and bruising. Also, you will need to wear a compression bra for a while to make recovery run easier and to protect the operated area from injury and negative external influences.
Our Surgeon Specialist and his team will give you detailed instructions that you need to follow to avoid possible complications and improve results.
Complications and Risks of Breast Reduction Surgery after Massive Weight Loss
Breast reduction after weight loss is a complicated and extensive operation. Like all other invasive surgeries, it comes with certain risks and complications. By following the instructions of our Specialist Surgeons, you greatly reduce the chance of any side effects.
Although rare, the most common risks and complications are:
- Bad scarring
- Bad reaction to anesthesia
- Swelling and bruising
- Skin redness
- Loss of sensation in the nipple area
Your Breast Reduction Surgery after Massive Weight Loss Journey
Once you decide on a breast reduction surgery, it is necessary to go through a consultation process with our specialist surgeon during which you will express your wishes and expectations. You will go through all the necessary health checks to ensure a safe procedure for your health. This may include standardized tests, but also an anaesthesia examination to avoid the danger of a bad reaction to the anaesthesia.
The anesthesiologist will apply the appropriate anaesthesia so that you will not feel any discomfort or pain during the procedure. The specialist surgeon will perform the procedure with an appropriate method of breast reduction and close the incisions with sutures. Patients are usually released for home care on the day of surgery.
You will follow the instructions of our specialist surgeon and his team to speed up and facilitate recovery. Also, some time after the procedure itself, you will come for a check-up appointment so that the specialist surgeon can properly monitor and control your recovery and healing.
Cost of Breast Reduction Surgery for Excess Breast Skin after Massive Weight Loss
Every patient is different, therefore the prices vary. You will be given a price quote after your first consultation.
Your Breast Reduction after Massive Weight Loss Surgery quote will include your surgeon’s fee, anesthetist’s fee, perhaps a surgical assistant fee, and the hospital fees.
Further Reading – Medical References on Excess Breast Skin
- Plastic Surgery after Massive Weight Loss – NCBI
- Strategies in Breast Reduction
- Breast Reduction Surgery: The Ultimate Weight Loss and Lifestyle Procedure?
- Breast Reshaping after Massive Weight Loss
- Breast Reduction and Bariatric Surgery
- Mastopexy After Massive Weight Loss
Excess Breast Skin Reduction FAQs
Is breast reduction after massive weight loss painful?
- During recovery, you may feel a degree of discomfort and pain, but with the help of pain control products, they should not be unbearable.
Will a breast reduction make me look thinner?
- Most patients look a lot thinner after the breast reduction surgery. Of course, you will not lose much weight by the breast reduction itself, but it can significantly improve your overall shape.
How long does it take to recover from a breast reduction?
- Most patients fully recover between 4-6 weeks after the surgery. Keep in mind that each procedure is different, as is the ability to recover. Some patients need more time to recover and some less.
How long do you have to sleep on your back after breast reduction?
- It is recommended that you sleep on your back for a while to avoid possible injuries and pain that can be caused by sleeping on your side or on your stomach.
When can I lift my arms after breast reduction?
- For the first few days after breast reduction, you should avoid raising your arms.
Can breasts grow bigger after breast reduction?
- In most patients, breast reduction is permanent. This means that there will be no growth of tissue that could make the breasts much larger. But some fat accumulation is possible by re-gaining weight.
Why Choose Dr Carmen for removing excess breast skin?
Not all Surgeons have the same experience or intensive training and testing qualifications. Be sure you learn the differences between a Plastic Surgeon, a General Surgeon, Cosmetic Surgeon, or other types of Surgeon. Recommendations from other patients is also a good place to start.
Choosing a Specialist Plastic Surgeon means you are choosing an accredited recognized plastic surgeon that performs surgery in an accredited hospital. Look for members of FRACS, ASPS, ASAPS, or ISAPS as some of the Qualifications of your Plastic Surgeon.
It is important to research a Surgeon’s qualifications and experience before deciding on the Surgeon. You can check your surgeons’ credentials at AHPRA. Dr Carmen is a highly experienced, fully qualified specialist plastic surgeon with current FRACS membership.
Dr Carmen Munteanu – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Carmen Munteanu MD. FRACS (Plas) is a very skilled and compassionate Specialist Plastic Surgeon based in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
She is one of Melbourne’s most experienced and sought-after female Plastic Surgeons specialising in aesthetic breast surgery and body contouring. That includes Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Breast Implant Surgery and Body Surgery.
With over 25 years of surgical experience in Plastic Surgery, Dr Carmen firmly believes that a good surgeon is first a good doctor. She will always take into consideration all the health aspects and personal circumstances of each patient.
A dedicated Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr Carmen is renowned for providing exceptional care, support and helping achieve realistic goals for her patients.
Always Do Your Research
- Download our Procedure Guides to find out more about your surgery
- Please read our website to learn more about your intended procedure
Do you need a Medical Referral to see Dr Carmen?
- A medical referral is helpful but NOT essential for purely cosmetic consultations.
- Please obtain a referral from your GP or Specialist if you want a consultation for an MBS item number surgery.
- Please note that your Medicare Rebates will NOT be claimable without a valid recent Referral
Making The Most Of Your Consultation
- Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Dr Carmen – Carparking is available on site in Mitcham
- You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly examine all the documents provided
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
How to Book Your Consultation with Dr Carmen
- You can book your initial consultation with Dr Carmen Munteanu by paying the $275 cosmetic consultation fee in advance – when you make your appointment.
Email us for more information: email@example.com